Calling all university students! (1 Viewer)

fillstar

HSC
Yes I agree its a great idea but hard to implement effectively.

You should divide it according to which Uni, the faculty and then the subject code within that.

B

Bambul

How about a subjects guide? Written up by people who have done the subject already. It would include info like pre-requisites, what the lecturers/tutors are like (plus which are the good ones), difficulty/time commitment, etc. It's often quite hard to pick sbjects for electives and often you do it just by the subject name or maybe the lecturer who takes it, I think something like this could really be useful for uni students.

fatmuscle

HSC
Bambul - that's an awesome idea!
Will think of some way of getting it done.

is anyone still interested in uploading uninotes somewhere?

I can start the collection process for you to be uploaded to our server if you like.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
fatmuscle said:
Bambul - that's an awesome idea!
Will think of some way of getting it done.

is anyone still interested in uploading uninotes somewhere?

I can start the collection process for you to be uploaded to our server if you like.
yes yes yes.
still interested.
also can write subject guides.
Where would u like me to send you some nots

fatmuscle

HSC
you can email it to me

bos@fatmuscle.cjb.net - for reasonable sized attachments

um, if you could, could you keep it in this format:

University Abbreviation* - Subject Number* - Year* - Name

Example: "UTS - 31476 - 2002 - fatmuscle.pdf"

NB:
2. Name is not mandatory, the others are.
3. The 'year' part refers too what year you are taking this subject.

Once I get 20-30 notes, i'll get some access out to people so they can upload/download.

ancient_nut

I think this will be hard to do for some subjects, especially the smaller ones and especially arts. For example, most places offer English but is it Anglo-Saxon or Literature and Cinema that you're looking for? How will you be able to search between?

Also, how will you be able to deal with cross-referenced subjects? For example, I'm doing one that's crossed between English, Italian, Chinese, Modern Greek and French. Some subjects are quite hard to categorise.

Also, I'd be wary of posting too many notes up, as the universities are a bit panicky about plagiarism at the moments (has anyone actually thought about some of the things- those of us who've actually read them? They are draconian!)

gman03

HSC
Bambul said:
How about a subjects guide? Written up by people who have done the subject already. It would include info like pre-requisites, what the lecturers/tutors are like (plus which are the good ones), difficulty/time commitment, etc. It's often quite hard to pick sbjects for electives and often you do it just by the subject name or maybe the lecturer who takes it, I think something like this could really be useful for uni students.
This is what I have in mind and would be great in wiki-styles. This would answer some of the "PHYS1011 is this course hard" or "MATH9999 Advanced Advanced Abacus Mathematics I have TERof 100 should I do it" post. When will this be available? I am already forgetting who I had last semester already...

Quintin

HSC
Re: <font color="blue"><b>Calling all university students!</b></font>

have a Biki with a notes uploading function in it, so all is in one place. This would be really good. Especially if you let people rate and comment on the uploaded notes.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Bambul said:
Excellent idea! I haven't seen the rest of the thread, so sorry anyone if I've copied your idea but I think having a course guide Biki-style would be nice, so e.g. someone doing xx course would write up a brief description of what the subjects available in that course of study are, e.g. a bachelor of science has biology, physics, chemistry, maths, biochemistry, molecular bio, etc, and of course provide a description for the subjects they know best about, so not just any old handbook description but, like Bambul said what the course is like in real life to experience--lecturers, tutors, difficulty, time commitment, etc. Then other students would contribute, etc. This would help prospective uni students reconsider any uni preferences they may have had.

I personally found that my course is fascinating and quite similar to what I expected in terms of the material I wanted to learn, but the commitment is just massive, i.e. the course is just not all airy fairy in candy land type stuff, and if something like this had existed during last year, I might've seriously reconsidered doing another course (even if I did decide to stick to my current course in the end)

For the more 'generalist' degrees which people may shun, just because they think there are no job prospects when you graduate, career prospects would also be helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)