Cambridge 3u (1 Viewer)

M@ster P

HSC
Below are the contents of the year 11 Cambridge 3unit book which I have obtained from the internet, by the looks of it , it looks very similar to the 2unit course. Can anyone who possesses this book specifically tell me which 3unit topics are treated because I cannot distinguish by the looks of the contents.
I need this information so I know whether to purchase both prelim and hsc cambridge 3u or just one being the latter, hence saving me money.

Preface; How to use this book; About the authors; 1. Methods in algebra; 2. Numbers and functions; 3. Graphs and inequations; 4. Trigonometry; 5. Coordinate geometry; 6. Sequences and series; 7. The derivative; 8. The quadratic function; 9. The geometry of the Parabola; 10. The geometry of the derivative; 11. Integration; 12. The logarithmic function; 13. The exponential function; 14. The trigonometric functions; Answers to exercises; Index.

Last edited:

lolman12567

HSC
there are a few 3 unit topics in year 11 cambridge but most of the 3u are in the year 12 book.

HSC
To tell the truth, I ended up not using the Year 11 3U book and ended up using Fitzpatrick instead. If I had the time, I would go through it, but I might end up using it for revision later on. The book contains mostly 2U topics, however in almost EVERY chapter they take the questions up to a 3U and even a 4U level (though you can choose not to do those extension questions). If you can buy it off a friend or a friend's relative for cheap, get it, but IMO don't bother buying it if you can't get it for less than $25.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It has Parametric equations, External Ratios, Induction and Integration by substitution off the top of my head. It even has 4unit implicit differentiation.

duy.le

HSC
if your talking about the the Cambridge 3u text book, dont waste your time. i was a very dedicated maths student and i seriously NEVER touched it. it had some cool stuff in there i would suppose but i would highly recommend that you spend your time doing past papers or something more constructive then spending 3 hours on an exercise that may well be tested for a grand total of 2 marks in the hsc. try if u choose but there are better things to do that are much more constructive. (note that its hard to find projectile motion in other text books so u might like to try theirs, in fact if your higly cappable and nothing really challenges you then by all means.their questions are quite difficult)

HSC
duy.le said:
if your talking about the the Cambridge 3u text book, dont waste your time...
Agreed. If you got it at the start of year 11 I think its worth putting in the extra time for a more perfect understanding of the topics, but doing it now will be counter-productive compared to doing past papers.

If you want to revise the topics, my recommendation (of course, having not done the HSC and as I'm just starting Year 12, I'm no expert, but I've heard things from others) are just doing past papers and picking up a "Questions by topic" book (can't remember the company/author) for 3U which will cover all or most of the concepts in all the topics from what I've seen.

M@ster P

HSC
yeah thanks for you opinions guys, I think I will just stick to past papers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)