Cambridge for 3U Maths ? (1 Viewer)

xibu34

HSC
Currently using maths in focus for school assigned homework but I'm wondering if Cambridge would be beneficial to practice from as the questions are generally more difficult and similar to exam questions (from what I've heard that is).

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I’m aware, the use of Maths in Focus is beneficial when acquainting yourself with the concepts of different topics, whether it is through consulting the explanations of particular concepts, or when attempting questions relevant to those concepts (like you are currently doing as assigned homework for instance), allowing you to become familiar with Mathematics Extension 1 content.

On the other hand, and consistent with your suggestion, Cambridge is considered to be appropriate when seeking more challenging material that extends beyond the difficulty offered by Maths in Focus. If you aim to maximise your performance in Mathematics Extension 1, using Cambridge would be a good idea. Additionally, if possible, you may wish to concurrently use both textbooks instead of just one of them, as follows:
  • Using Maths in Focus as you first encounter a particular concept can assist you in familiarising yourself with that concept.
  • Subsequently, using Cambridge will enable you to master that concept, thanks to the exposure to more challenging material, which constitutes good practice.
I hope this helps! :D

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
From personal experience, I recommend Cambridge
--> It does have similar questions to what you'll see in trials etc

xibu34

HSC
As far as I’m aware, the use of Maths in Focus is beneficial when acquainting yourself with the concepts of different topics, whether it is through consulting the explanations of particular concepts, or when attempting questions relevant to those concepts (like you are currently doing as assigned homework for instance), allowing you to become familiar with Mathematics Extension 1 content.

On the other hand, and consistent with your suggestion, Cambridge is considered to be appropriate when seeking more challenging material that extends beyond the difficulty offered by Maths in Focus. If you aim to maximise your performance in Mathematics Extension 1, using Cambridge would be a good idea. Additionally, if possible, you may wish to concurrently use both textbooks instead of just one of them, as follows:
  • Using Maths in Focus as you first encounter a particular concept can assist you in familiarising yourself with that concept.
  • Subsequently, using Cambridge will enable you to master that concept, thanks to the exposure to more challenging material, which constitutes good practice.
I hope this helps! :D
Thanks for the insightful reply.

I think I'll definitely be buying a Cambridge textbook to help with exam preparation and practice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)