Cambridge vs Fitzpatrick: A Final Vote (1 Viewer)

Which is the best textbook for year 12 HSC Math (advanced, extension 1/2)

• Total voters

AKONS

HSC
We've seen all the other threads but what is the final decision we all have searched for? Let's find out. Cast a vote today.

beetree1

HSC
There is no way Fitzpatrick will win...... That shit whack as

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
I prefer Fitzpatrick over Cambridge (and yes I know I’m gonna get crap for this lmao). For a start although Fitzpatrick does include some irrelevant exercises or has a weird layout or the order of the topics in the book may be a little whack, the content is what greatly matters at hand. Fitzpatrick has an even balance of easy and hard questions which is what all textbooks need to challenge their readers, however I feel as if Cambridge tries to stick you in the deep end too early and is what often leads people like me to have to rely on worked answers for a good portion of some of the exercises. This all ties in with the fact that the explanations of concepts within the Cambridge textbooks are significantly worse than Fitzpatrick as there’s not really a sense of a thorough explanation of each step taken for the questions in the examples.

So imo that’s why I prefer Fitzpatrick over Cambridge don’t @ me hahaha

idkkdi

HSC
Ye exactly just use both and ditch Maths in Focus (ngl Margaret Grove should just be fired by now)
eh, Margaret grove surely has its uses. not everyone is bothered to do cambridge.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Math ext 2 i would use terry lee and Sydney grammar unpublished
Others Cambridge

jojosiwa123

HSC
Ye exactly just use both and ditch Maths in Focus (ngl Margaret Grove should just be fired by now)
omg Im scared now we use maths in focus hahaha no wonder our trials maths avg was 50%....oh well

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
omg Im scared now we use maths in focus hahaha no wonder our trials maths avg was 50%....oh well
This might come across as harsh but any school who uses only Math in Focus to teach their students is imo essentially setting up every single student for failure. Math in Focus is good for anyone who wants to achieve up to a Band 3 possibly Band 4 in math because the questions only build the foundational knowledge for what is actually tested in prelims/trials without actually challenging the students.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Really? Our school uses Maths in Focus for 2U and 4U, and we usually get about 50 band 6s every year although I know a lot of people also supplement their study with Cambridge and outside tutoring.
Yep that’s what I meant Math in Focus shouldn’t be the only book one uses

jojosiwa123

HSC
This might come across as harsh but any school who uses only Math in Focus to teach their students is imo essentially setting up every single student for failure. Math in Focus is good for anyone who wants to achieve up to a Band 3 possibly Band 4 in math because the questions only build the foundational knowledge for what is actually tested in prelims/trials without actually challenging the students.
yeah you're definitely right hahah my school only just started using it last year I think but yeah the number go b6s for maths isn't too high...

turtle67

HSC
We used Cambridge for prelim, which I thought was good, but the teacher wasn't a fan so she's changed it to Maths in Focus.

(I'm doing 3U), would it be best for me to supplement it with Fitzpatrick or Cambridge, or do I need to supplement it at all?

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
We used Cambridge for prelim, which I thought was good, but the teacher wasn't a fan so she's changed it to Maths in Focus.

(I'm doing 3U), would it be best for me to supplement it with Fitzpatrick or Cambridge, or do I need to supplement it at all?
supplement with cambridge!

Dont even do MIF the questions are literally foundation level in cambridge lol

Last edited:

turtle67

HSC

Oh really is MIF that bad? I could just do the classwork assigned because I sort of have to, and then go and do some harder ones from the Cambridge book, would that be a good idea?

Yeah I found a lot of questions in the book last year pretty hard, some of them I couldn't even do (the 'extension' ones, probably why I'm not doing 4U ahah).

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Oh really is MIF that bad? I could just do the classwork assigned because I sort of have to, and then go and do some harder ones from the Cambridge book, would that be a good idea?

Yeah I found a lot of questions in the book last year pretty hard, some of them I couldn't even do (the 'extension' ones, probably why I'm not doing 4U ahah).
yes, it is that bad! It's good with the proving and concept explaining, but the exercises aren't appropriate level at all...

I just did cambridge equivalent of the MIF exercises my teacher set most of the time

turtle67

HSC

On that, do you know how I would be able to get the worked solutions for Cambridge, since this year my teacher had them but I don't think she will have them for hsc level, is there any other way of getting them?

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
On that, do you know how I would be able to get the worked solutions for Cambridge, since this year my teacher had them but I don't think she will have them for hsc level, is there any other way of getting them?
if we get them i can send them to you

why do you think your teacher won't have them tho?

turtle67

HSC
if we get them i can send them to you

why do you think your teacher won't have them tho?
Thanks for the offer, that'd be great if I need them :). She may not have them becuase we use MIF for year 12, I will ask though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)