Campfires on beaches? (1 Viewer)

Inhuman

HSC
I and a group of friends are planning to have a holiday on hte Central Coast somewhere, and we were considering having a campfire on the beach at some point.

Could some kind Law student please let me know where it would be possible to look up whether this would be legal or not? Google has failed me for once :eek:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
In short, I think it depends on the council. But one thing applies everywhere in NSW - if there is a sign saying no fires, that means no fires!

(This is all I could find)
CROWN LANDS ACT 1989 - SECT 156: Unauthorised use of structures or land

(3) A person shall not, without lawful authority, make use of a structure or carry on a prescribed activity on public land if that use or activity is prohibited by a notice displayed in a conspicuous place on or near the land.
CROWN LANDS REGULATION 2000 - SECT 47
Unauthorised activities on public land
47 Unauthorised activities on public land

For the purposes of section 156 (1), (2) and (3) of the Act, the following activities are prescribed:

(a) conducting any entertainment, instruction or performance for money or consideration of any kind,

(b) operating television, cinematographic or photographic equipment for commercial purposes,

(c) conducting or taking part in any sporting activity that forms part of an organised competition,

(d) selling, offering for sale or distributing any article or thing,

(e) affixing any sign, bill, poster, banner or bunting on, or to, any tree or any post, building, fence, seat, table, enclosure or other structure,

(f) camping,

(g) lighting of fires other than in a properly constructed fire place,

(h) driving a vehicle or riding a horse,

(i) carrying or using firearms,

(j) discharging fireworks,

(k) using any bow and arrow or throwing any stone or other dangerous missile,

(l) drinking alcohol,

(m) selling, offering for sale or otherwise providing alcohol to a person.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
In short, I think it depends on the council. But one thing applies everywhere in NSW - if there is a sign saying no fires, that means no fires!
but ultimately, Mr MS, isn't the ownership of all land vested in the sovereign?

santaslayer

HSC
I know this may be the bleeding obvious, but to ensure my post count increases at a sooperdooperomgwi9ckedmegaawesomewow rate, I shall remind you that any type of fire is prohibited when the country has a total fire ban. :)

hamsterMan

HSC
You can light a fire where ever you want. Nobody needs to know :eek:

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
hamsterMan said:
You can light a fire where ever you want. Nobody needs to know :eek:
please dont light a fire on the beach
my sister has a big scar on her foot wear she stepped in a fire that had been buried with sand and the fire had been insulated. she couldnt walk for ages because she had a third degree burn on her foot and ankle.
ive also had to call an ambulance for a toddler who fell into a fire pit on the beach that i was patrolling for surf life saving and going back to the spot you wouldnt ever pick it for being smoking hot because it was covered in sand.
babies and small kids have died because of this. there is a reason why fires shouldnt be lit on beaches and i ask you to please light one somewhere else

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
AtticusFinch said:
please dont light a fire on the beach
my sister has a big scar on her foot wear she stepped in a fire that had been buried with sand and the fire had been insulated. she couldnt walk for ages because she had a third degree burn on her foot and ankle.
ive also had to call an ambulance for a toddler who fell into a fire pit on the beach that i was patrolling for surf life saving and going back to the spot you wouldnt ever pick it for being smoking hot because it was covered in sand.
babies and small kids have died because of this. there is a reason why fires shouldnt be lit on beaches and i ask you to please light one somewhere else
Jesus......

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
AtticusFinch said:
will you ever light a fire on the beach again now...
No I won't!

Even though I never have. I also haven't seen anyone start fires on my beach or the remains of such a fire there

santaslayer

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
No I won't!

Even though I never have. I also haven't seen anyone start fires on my beach or the remains of such a fire there
On your beach?

WoW! :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
On your beach?

WoW! :p
lol yeh, next to the tennis courts

my local beach :p

You actually cannot legally own a beach in Australia, unlike America

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
You actually cannot legally own a beach in Australia, unlike America
so if your backyard leads onto the beach (fenced on both sides), ppl can actually come in thru the water and camp behind ur backyard?

whats the pt in buying zillion dollar coastline properties then? :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)