Can a non state rank school student achieve a state ranking? (1 Viewer)

Viscass

HSC
i was just wondering if it is possible for ^^
or is not possible even with a perfect or near perfect record?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Of course! If you are ranked first there is hypothetically nothing stopping you from topping the state. I've heard of a girl at a rank ~500 rural school (before her cohort) getting two state ranks.

In fact at my old school which is ranked early 200s we had two state rankers in the one subject a few years back.

enoilgam

HSC
It's very much possible - if you are ranked first internally and do well enough externally you can certainly state rank. You will find that whilst a large percentage of state rankers go to selective/private schools, a noteworthy amount come from elsewhere.

Viscass

HSC
okay thanks
i hear school rank does affect your atar, is this correct?

enoilgam

HSC
okay thanks
i hear school rank does affect your atar, is this correct?
School ranking does not have any impact on your ATAR - they are not official and they only look at the result of the cohort from the previous year. However, your cohorts performance can have an impact on your ATAR.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I know two people that both came 1st in the state at dance (roughly a decade or so ago) that went to a small rural school that was ranked in 500s :)

You run your own race guys :)

Macqncheese

Banned
HSC
N/A
My school is ranked....well, lets say it is beyond 500. We had a state rank.

probjer

HSC
I went a bad/nonacademic school in the Shire (this year ranked in the top 200), and two of my friends got a state rank in engineering studies and food tech respectively.

Viscass

HSC
School ranking does not have any impact on your ATAR - they are not official and they only look at the result of the cohort from the previous year. However, your cohorts performance can have an impact on your ATAR.
oh okay thank god, idk what my school is ranked but its probably not very high.
one last thing, if i am the only student in my class how does this affect my HSC mark? seeing as there would be no way to judge how hard the assesments were?

enoilgam

HSC
oh okay thank god, idk what my school is ranked but its probably not very high.
one last thing, if i am the only student in my class how does this affect my HSC mark? seeing as there would be no way to judge how hard the assesments were?
In this case, the mark you receive on the final exam will be your overall mark.

Viscass

HSC
I went a bad/nonacademic school in the Shire (this year ranked in the top 200), and two of my friends got a state rank in engineering studies and food tech respectively.
its nice to know its not just rich sydney kids dominating the rankings

SuchSmallHands

HSC
A few years back a rural public school got three state ranks in software design and development. It's definitely possible, it's just more common that state rankers come from James Ruse than from a school no one's ever heard of in the middle of nowhere (for obvious reasons). Not that I'm hating on rural comprehensives, I go to one myself :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
A few years back a rural public school got three state ranks in software design and development. It's definitely possible, it's just more common that state rankers come from James Ruse than from a school no one's ever heard of in the middle of nowhere (for obvious reasons). Not that I'm hating on rural comprehensives, I go to one myself :)
Rural comprehensive pride :)

My school had some state ranks in various subjects. I guess obviously, if you live in Sydney, the highest academic performers are often concentrated in selective schools, so that's why they dominate the state ranks-but the underlying thing is you are the determinant of your performance, so everyone should just put their best foot forward.

RG11

HSC
i guess theoretically it is possible... but a guy i know was ranked first internally for chemistry and got 96/100 in the hsc exam and he only got a 97 overall mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)