can anyone help me with a porfolio? (1 Viewer)

HSC
dont really know how or what to do in making one for uni interviews and the internet has bugger all.

help much??
cheers

the-new-world

HSC
the best advice i can give you is this:
use your best and newest works only, try not to show a process (eg this is where i was and this is where i am now) you don't have alot of space in your portfolio and so this should be avoided
add a range of medium and skills, show your best from whatever you've done, sculpture, photography, painting
life drawing is always a good as it shows skill that alot of the interviews will be able to instantly recognise
don't be afraid to show off your "style" but be able to show a range of styles too

depending on what you are going in for (art theory + illustration, painting, digital, photography, fine arts with a major in ... etc) it's helpful to focus on those
if it has theory componants put in a small analytical essay, show what you can do in that area
put in a few artist statements for the better works
and generally don't put too much in there, it's a balance, if there is too little they say your not experienced enough and dont have the skills, if you have too much you can't get through it all they get bored and move on

this is all i know from what i've been told by friends who are in uni, art colleges and art schools, if someone thinks something is wrong with it please correct me as this is just relayed information

hope that helps :)

adriana08

HSC
the-new-world said:
the best advice i can give you is this:
use your best and newest works only, try not to show a process (eg this is where i was and this is where i am now) you don't have alot of space in your portfolio and so this should be avoided
add a range of medium and skills, show your best from whatever you've done, sculpture, photography, painting
life drawing is always a good as it shows skill that alot of the interviews will be able to instantly recognise
don't be afraid to show off your "style" but be able to show a range of styles too

depending on what you are going in for (art theory + illustration, painting, digital, photography, fine arts with a major in ... etc) it's helpful to focus on those
if it has theory componants put in a small analytical essay, show what you can do in that area
put in a few artist statements for the better works
and generally don't put too much in there, it's a balance, if there is too little they say your not experienced enough and dont have the skills, if you have too much you can't get through it all they get bored and move on

this is all i know from what i've been told by friends who are in uni, art colleges and art schools, if someone thinks something is wrong with it please correct me as this is just relayed information

hope that helps :)
yes..thanks
that helped me at least!! :)
just some questions though..is there a maximum size for the artworks? and do they all have to be originals..because i heard they can also be photos if they are too big..the sculptures of course but how about if they are drawings or paintings or something like that??!!
i think its so confusing because everyone has a different idea as to what is 'right' and what you have to place in your portfolio..
oh one more thing..do we have to put in references or statements from our VA teachers..or not??!!
thankyou :D

the-new-world

HSC
adriana08 said:
yes..thanks
that helped me at least!! :)
just some questions though..is there a maximum size for the artworks? and do they all have to be originals..because i heard they can also be photos if they are too big..the sculptures of course but how about if they are drawings or paintings or something like that??!!
i think its so confusing because everyone has a different idea as to what is 'right' and what you have to place in your portfolio..
oh one more thing..do we have to put in references or statements from our VA teachers..or not??!!
thankyou :D
glad i could be of help
maximum size.. uhh well nothing is too big but if it's huge they won't be able to see it, aim for an A3 or A4 size portfolio if your works are bigger take pictures of them and any major detail that needs to be seen
yeah it's funny when some people put all a certain type as compared to another, but in the end they wanna see your best works from a range of different styles and media to show all your possible skill. it's just like the HSC you need to know what the marker wants to see, it's what gets you in
references or teacher statements.. umm i personally wouldn't and i don't know anyone who has because it doesn't add much to your work other than someone saying your a hard worker.. but if you really feel it should be there, can't hurt i guess

tangotrace

SUPER HERO
HSC
hey also... (sorry only just saw this thread and was wondering the same thing a couple of weeks ago and went for a dig around to find out some info..)

ok so, i personally am needing to put together a photography portfolio... i guess there are much the same concepts? so these are a couple of hints i came across...

- compile the works in a folio box (usually just a black box appropriate for amount of work) separated by tissue paper.
- have no less than 12 and no more than 24.
- idealy, have the works show some continuity and flow... this is asthetically pleasing for the audience.
-include a page of thumbnails along with a short statement, its size, and the medium used.

yea... all the other notes i got are kinda more photo-specific dealing with matts etc. :D

hope that helps if not too late

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)