• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can anyone help with my Ext 1. Satire (1 Viewer)

VicTrix

HSC
You are to create the written transcript of the forum titled Satire: Has the Media Gone too far?
The panel is to consist of four participants, one of the team that created Frontline, one of the creators from The Chaser;a satirist of your own choosing; and an anchor or moderator that you choose or create. As part of the forum you may want to explore examples of media excess, notions of community standards and the ideas of creativity in the role of satire. One claim for satire is that it holds up the mirror to society and exposes hypocrisy and double standards.

I don't really get this part, as I wasn't present at the time it was explained. Can anyone help?

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
examples of media excess, notions of community standards and the ideas of creativity in the role of satire.
I'll do my best since no one else has, yet.

Media Excesses: Think about how the real media does go overboard with their "Expose" type thing: the dramatic language, emotiveness, chasing offenders through the street, beating up the story so it is bigger than it should be, using their own left or right (but mostly left) wing bias to lead the story in certain directions. Then satire will take this on and either over exaggerate or under play it. For example The Chaser had one time when they were trying to keep their political commentary balanced. If they got to the end of a programme and had done too much left wing, they would balance it with right wing fluff stuff.

Notions of Community standards: The Community has certain expectations that people are supposed to adhere to. For example, wearing the right clothes to church or other types of functions, behaving in certain ways in certain venues. The Chaser was notorious for challenging these. In one case they turned up to a Liberal Party celebration with a "Race Card" accusing the winners of playing it to win. Not a socially acceptable thing to do, really.

Ideas of creativity: Well, this is just how clever can you be, and innovative, in getting your meaning across without crossing the line of Community standards. The Chaser, again, did a piece on sick kids and it was innovative and creative BUT crossed the line too far and got them suspended off air. MASH is a very creative satire. While set in the Korean War it was actually commenting on the Vietnam War but it was very subtle. Being so funny, sometimes the political message was hidden until the AHA moment.

Hope that helps a little.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)