• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

can anyone tell my what a hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell and a fine particle explosion is? (1 Viewer)

laura_mccarthy

HSC
what is a catalyst???

how does a catalyst help hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells???

and

what is a fine particle explosion???

ps. putting the links to any websites used would be appreciated =]

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Re: can anyone tell my what a hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell and a fine particle explosion

Catalyst= substance that helps reactions go faster, without being part of the reactants or products in simple terms. In more complex terms, its a substance that lowers the activation energy, or the energy/heat required for the reacitons to start (most reactions have a minimum amount of heat that needs to be around before they actually start.)

Not sure what a hydrogen fuel cell is, but it would probably 'help the cell' by enabling it to release energy faster.

I suppose a fine particle explosion is just that: and explosion that releases small particles.

btw, why don'y just ask your teacher? Probably waste less time than writing and waiting for an answer of BOS.

Last edited:

v.ray

HSC
Re: can anyone tell my what a hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell and a fine particle explosion

We had an assignment on the hydrogen fuel cell this was part of my answer, hope it helps ...

The hydrogen fuel cell operates as the model displays. It has two electrodes, one an anode (a negative reducing agent) and the other a cathode (a positive oxidising agent) which are separated by a membrane (in this case it is a Proton Exchange Membrane) as shown below. Oxygen passes over one electrode and hydrogen the other. The hydrogen reacts to a catalyst on the electrode anode that converts it to hydrogen gas into negatively charged electrons (e-) and positively charged hydrogen ions (H+). The catalyst is usually platinum nanoparticles with very thinly coated on carbon paper or cloth. The electrons (e-) flow out of the cell to be used in an external circuit as electrical energy. The hydrogen ions (H+) move through the electrolyte membrane to the cathode electrode where they combine with oxygen (
O<SUB>2</SUB>) and the electrons to produce water.

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock><v:shape id=Picture_x0020_1 style="MARGIN-TOP: 298.45pt; Z-INDEX: -1; VISIBILITY: visible; MARGIN-LEFT: 321.75pt; WIDTH: 223.05pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 153.75pt" wrapcoords="-145 0 -145 21495 21644 21495 21644 0 -145 0" alt="The parts of a fuel cell" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_s1026"><v:imagedata cropright="3475f" cropleft="1490f" cropbottom="2317f" croptop="7613f" o:title="The parts of a fuel cell" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata><?xml:namespace prefix = w ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:word" /><w:wrap type="tight"></w:wrap></v:shape>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)