Can I both agree & disagree in an essay? (1 Viewer)

2KL4SKL

HSC
Or is this regarded as "sitting on the fence" & I have to pick a defenite stance? Because I think one of my related texts differs in some areas to my prescribed text and I was wondering if I could just say 'Text 1 argues that...HOWEVER, text 2 represents this notion as bad...' etc

boirefish

HSC
Uni Grad
that is perfectly fine, and may even demonstrate your broader scope of analysis, as long as you do not contradict yourself.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yes, my thesis was exactly something along those lines.

Just formulate a thesis that allows you to reflect both sides for eg. Text 1 portrays how a sense of belonging will have a positive effect on individuals while Tex 2 illustrates how a lack of belonging is negative.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
There's nothing wrong with arguing both sides.

cassieagill

HSC
it depends if its supposed to be an opinionative piece or argumentative piece its ok its its just a factual piece, talk to your teacher...is it an essey or thesis?

generally if you provide arguments from both sides you either agree to one or the other to a minor extent

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
i never provided conflicting views and when i did back in year 11 and early year 12, i had comments about it and didnt get as much marks.
thanks 2009'ers!

pollydunning

HSC
You can present both sides of the argument, but you have to make a conclusive statement about what that SAYS! What does it SAY about belonging if there are two different sides. You need to use the texts to support your argument

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)