Can I get 99.95 with these subjects? (1 Viewer)

Breeby

HSC
Has anyone seen what atar calculators have to say about low scaling subjects? I never really used them because I was too worried. Haha.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Has anyone seen what atar calculators have to say about low scaling subjects? I never really used them because I was too worried. Haha.
What do you mean? Obvs with similar marks in lower scaling subs to higher the ATAR will be much worse.

enoilgam

HSC
Just a general tip to OP: Please don't make getting .95 the determinant of your success. When you're at that top end of the ATAR spectrum, one small thing brings you down. A lot of it comes down to how you go on the day, whether the questions sorta suit you, whether you are in the zone etc. I've seen a lot of people get very disappointed for missing that mark and its not worth it-> do your best and aim high, and if it happens, it will happen. Just don't rest everything on getting that .95.
This is very true - getting 99.95 is very difficult because there is a very narrow margin for stuffing up.

matsing

HSC
a girl in my school who did this year's HSC - she did no maths and still got 99.95 (legal studies state rank, also did modern history, french extension, english extension + english advanced and maybe history extension not too sure)

you don't necessarily need to do 4U maths to get the top but it just means you need to actually get closer to 100
are you blind, read what i said!! when did i ever say everyone who gets 99.95 does 4u maths? what i said was it is unlikely (do you understand the meaning of the word unlikely?) to get 99.95 without 4u maths - the vast MAJORITY (not everyone) who gets 99.95 do infact do 4u maths. additionally i said, it is even MORE UNLIKELY for one to get 99.95 without any extension subjects. Low and behold your friend does extension subjects!! read carefully next time. and what in the world do you mean by "100"??

Mdzabakly

HSC
are you blind, read what i said!! when did i ever say everyone who gets 99.95 does 4u maths? what i said was it is unlikely (do you understand the meaning of the word unlikely?) to get 99.95 without 4u maths - the vast MAJORITY (not everyone) who gets 99.95 do infact do 4u maths. additionally i said, it is even MORE UNLIKELY for one to get 99.95 without any extension subjects. Low and behold your friend does extension subjects!! read carefully next time. and what in the world do you mean by "100"??
100 marks in the hsc test??

Bobbo1

HSC
Definitely possible, just need to get around 96 or so like what others have mentioned...

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I was thinking about the top mark of 99.95...

If somebody got 100% raw in all their units, shouldn't their scaled marks be 100 (rarely, anyone gets 100 RAW in any HSC subject)? It would be unfair to give them anything less.

Bubbles263

HSC
Advanced English
General Mathematics
SOR II
Legal Studies
Modern History
Biology

Also, am I doing alot of units?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Advanced English
General Mathematics
SOR II
Legal Studies
Modern History
Biology

Also, am I doing alot of units?

Theoretically yes, but General Maths is unlikely to count towards it ever-unless you perhaps state rank.

And 12 units is not alot.

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Theoretically yes, but General Maths is unlikely to count towards it ever-unless you perhaps state rank.
Lol come on, general maths isn't that bad of a scaler. 85+ will beat an 80 in legal studies.(general would go down to like 82, Legal would probably stay)

Edit: heard around 86 is band 6 for General, so might actually go up)

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I was thinking about the top mark of 99.95...

If somebody got 100% raw in all their units, shouldn't their scaled marks be 100 (rarely, anyone gets 100 RAW in any HSC subject)? It would be unfair to give them anything less.
No, because 100 raw in some exams requires more work than 100 raw in some others.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol come on, general maths isn't that bad of a scaler. 85+ will beat an 80 in legal studies.(general would go down to like 82, Legal would probably stay)

Lol I think you're mixing aligning with scaling. General is not a good scaler. Also this person is asking for 99.95 i.e like the top 49 students in the state so it's extremely doubtful it would count with its scaling unless say, you were SR in it.

deswa1

HSC

Yeah you're confusing scaling and aligning a bit but I'll ignore that. Maybe 85+ will beat an 80 in legal studies (I'm not sure- haven't looked it up). The question is though, what general maths mark will beat a 95/96 in chemistry? And the answer is none. The guy/girl that topped the state in general this year got a HSC mark of 99 for gen maths. This was scaled to a 45.5/50 on a one unit basis. To hit 99.95, you're looking at averaging 47.6/50. So even the first in the state for general maths has a scaled mark WAY below what you're aiming for. Obviously if your other units are amazing, you can still hit .95 but we must be realistic. The highest ATAR that anyone doing gen maths got this year was 99.80 which is a fantastic effort and they would have raped their other subs, but still it is quite a bit short of .95 in aggregate points.

So yes, it does scale that bad. It scales very bad if youre looking for an ATAR at the very top.

Lol I think you're mixing aligning with scaling. General is not a good scaler. Also this person is asking for 99.95 i.e like the top 49 students in the state so it's extremely doubtful it would count with its scaling unless say, you were SR in it.
This. I would go out further and say that if general maths counted in your ATAR, the only possible way to get .95 would be to be ranked very high in the state for gen maths, and then do other good scaling units and state rank some of those (I.e. rank advanced English etc.) if you're aiming for .95 and you're doing general, it won't happen, as slack as that sounds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)