Can I get a high ATAR with these low-scaling subjects? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm going into Year 11 next year and I'm doing English Extension, Ancient History, Modern History, Music, Legal Studies and Business Studies.

They're all humanities, and by what I've read, most high-achievers did some sort of science or math. :(

Almathea

HSC
Well as I heard the higher marks u got the less the scale can effect you. Don't worry if they are all humanities, as long as you get good marks it doesn't matter. And English extension is a scale up one isn't it. I'm going to do some scale down subject next year as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes it is very possible. A student at my school in 2015 got an atar in the 97s while doing subjects that are considered low scaling such as business sfudies, standard English, senior science, general maths and PDH&PE

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I'm going into Year 11 next year and I'm doing English Extension, Ancient History, Modern History, Music, Legal Studies and Business Studies.

They're all humanities, and by what I've read, most high-achievers did some sort of science or math. :(
I did basically all the same subs without ancient (did extension history). I got 91.90. Should have studied more, lols.

A friend of mine did pretty similar subs got all rounders and got somewhere in the vicinity of 95+ - cant remember exactly what, it has been a while.

You can do it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

HSC
My subjects were almost exactly the same as yours minus Music and with HistX instead of EE1; my ATAR was fine ;)

As others here have stated, just give it your all and you can excel, no matter what subjects you pick.

Last edited:

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Yes it is very possible. A student at my school in 2015 got an atar in the 97s while doing subjects that are considered low scaling such as business sfudies, standard English, senior science, general maths and PDH&PE
Yup, I personally know who this guy is :') He's such an inspiration!! :D

And answering the OP's question, yes a high ATAR with low scaling subjects is possible. I know heaps of people who did "low-scaling subjects" but smashed the HSC exams to get a pretty decent, if not impressive ATAR. The important thing is you enjoy the subjects you are doing and it has some sort of relevance to your university studies.

Hope this helps :) And best of luck with your HSC!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)