Can I get in the late nineties with these subjects? (1 Viewer)

hayrico

HSC
N/A
And in order to do so what would I need to rank in each class and how would I go about ensuring a good atar! Any tips guys? I'm only in year 11 but can already feel myself stressing out about the hsc! I'm particularly worried about English, I enjoy the subject, infact I used to think of it as my strongest subject, but year 11 has made me skeptical! Anyone here have any pointers or tips on how to excel in adv english and extension? sorry for all the questions!
Im doing

Adv English
Extension English (considering picking up ext 2 in year 12)
Mod Hist
Ancient Hist
Drama
2 unit Religion
Geography

(considering dropping geography to pick up entertainment and dropping one unit of religion) feel free to voice your opinions/thoughts on my subject choices too! Thankyou!

sinawi

HSC
You can potentially get 99.95 with these subjects depending on your ability, study routines, work ethic and ranks. For these subjects that are weaker scalers you must maintain and retain at least in the top two ranks for everything in the coming assessments. Minimum.

Music for me, which I received 93 scaled up to 93.4 and cost me potential dux of my college whereas my school's dux scored a 93 in physics and that was a different story. You just need to do exceptionally well.

With english, just read your texts (all of them) during this break, and consolidate your belonging notes and work on a really amazing idea for a standout creative. I wouldn't accelerate at all, just consolidate and work on the essays and creatives within your current module or unit.

sinawi

HSC
what topics will you be doing for year 11 and 12 extension

EDIT: And I love your subject choices :) It's refreshing to see someone branching into other humanities as opposed to the | Adv Eng 4u Maths Chem Physics | combo.

hayrico

HSC
N/A
I have never really been particularly good at maths or science and I enjoy the subjects I chose, well, most of them anyway, so I figured I might as well do what I enjoy! Sorry for all the questions but which of my subjects are scaled poorly? And thankyou for the quick response! For next next semester in extension we are studying Jane Austen's Emma and Clueless later on in the year, I am currently in the process of reading both! I still have to read my adv english texts though!

sinawi

HSC
Neither was I LOL! That's the plan, to do what you enjoy :)

It's not that they scale "poorly". It's just that opposed to mathematics, physics, or chemistry, you'd need raw marks of 90% and above in these units to reap the rewards of scaling. If you want to do exceptionally well, aim for above a 93% raw examination mark in modern, ancient, and religion. English and Extension 1 tend to scale quite well. As for Drama and Geography, I don't know.

BTW that's way too many units! Consider dropping something :p

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I have never really been particularly good at maths or science and I enjoy the subjects I chose, well, most of them anyway, so I figured I might as well do what I enjoy! Sorry for all the questions but which of my subjects are scaled poorly? And thankyou for the quick response! For next next semester in extension we are studying Jane Austen's Emma and Clueless later on in the year, I am currently in the process of reading both! I still have to read my adv english texts though!
Drama is your most poorly scaling subject. None of your subjects scale too strongly around the band 5 mark compared to math and science subjects but if you are aiming for late 90s you will be wanting band 6s where the difference in scaling is not as great.

nifkeh

HSC
which of my subjects are scaled poorly? And thankyou for the quick response! For next next semester in extension we are studying Jane Austen's Emma and Clueless later on in the year, I am currently in the process of reading both! I still have to read my adv english texts though!
scaled 'poorly' (just lower than compared to stuff like sciences or maths):

Adv English
Ancient Hist
Drama
2 unit Religion
Geography

I did Emma and Clueless for year 11 - don't worry too much, it's actually easy when compared to the comparative texts in the HSC even though it was a past module. You should try to read Emma, I never read it fully because I lost motivation too easily and also found it quite slow to read (and in the past 7-10 I was always doing classics/romantic/enlightenment novels so I was already getting bored while the other english classes were doing stuff more interesting like science fiction/something different). So yes, try to get through it. It is fatter than Frankenstein so just try to get through the book, because if you don't it is much harder to find quotes. The book is fairly straightforward, it's [somewhat of a spoiler]

about a girl who like tries to match up some couples and then gets guided that she's self-deluded and then finds out she actually loves someone at the end

and that Clueless is a modern appropriation of Emma lol. Clueless is a movie so that is way easier to finish than Emma, and you can get quotes on it easily. The two texts really correlate to each other very easily, atm I still can't really see what Frankenstein has to do with BL. In year 11/12 it's more about concepts and ideas in books than what is happening in it. If you don't go too well in year 11, just use it as a guiding year to see what you need to improve on for year 12 (people do improve within this amount of time). So don't feel too bad :)

Last edited:

nifkeh

HSC
lol I only vaguely get some stuff like human condition and inventing stuff against nature but then again I just finished chapter 6 volume 1 of Frankenstein and have watched bladerunner so yeah

sinawi

HSC
Okay! Just read the text completely, and hopefully the links will be more apparent. If not, there are some wonderful study guides and resources on the internet, and even on BOS that will change your perspectives on the links :)

nifkeh

HSC
:) yeah

also to OP - you need to also do your own homework/research between links to get points and quotes that aren't cliche - if you provide enough backing you will get a unique and good essay (as well with the points that need to be mentioned) and hopefully you will get more marks than the average essay which is still good, but uses the same quotes and points as most of the state

Verify

HSC
How badly can a not-so-great scaling subject effect you with your ATAR in comparison to those who choose high scaling subjects such as Physics? Could it cost you a few marks from your ATAR?

sinawi

HSC
How badly can a not-so-great scaling subject effect you with your ATAR in comparison to those who choose high scaling subjects such as Physics? Could it cost you a few marks from your ATAR?
Depending on your passion for the subject in question, and how well you prepare and do on HSC day, it ultimately depends.
If you like the not-so-great scaler and perform exceptionally well, it won't affect your ATAR.
If you like it and don't perform as well, it could potentially cost you providing it's in your top 10 units

You should also note that picking high scaling subjects doesn't guarantee you marks.

Bobbo1

HSC
Yes, getting high 90s or even mid 90s is tough task but can be achieved through consistent effort and hard work however cliched it may sound...

HSC
You can do it brah, 3 of your subs are good scalers but it doesn't matter anyway! Just work hard. Though you have to get higher ranks in those lower scaling subjects

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
scaled 'poorly' (just lower than compared to stuff like sciences or maths):

Adv English
Ancient Hist
Drama
2 unit Religion
Geography

I did Emma and Clueless for year 11 - don't worry too much, it's actually easy when compared to the comparative texts in the HSC even though it was a past module. You should try to read Emma, I never read it fully because I lost motivation too easily and also found it quite slow to read (and in the past 7-10 I was always doing classics/romantic/enlightenment novels so I was already getting bored while the other english classes were doing stuff more interesting like science fiction/something different). So yes, try to get through it. It is fatter than Frankenstein so just try to get through the book, because if you don't it is much harder to find quotes. The book is fairly straightforward, it's [somewhat of a spoiler]

about a girl who like tries to match up some couples and then gets guided that she's self-deluded and then finds out she actually loves someone at the end

and that Clueless is a modern appropriation of Emma lol. Clueless is a movie so that is way easier to finish than Emma, and you can get quotes on it easily. The two texts really correlate to each other very easily, atm I still can't really see what Frankenstein has to do with BL. In year 11/12 it's more about concepts and ideas in books than what is happening in it. If you don't go too well in year 11, just use it as a guiding year to see what you need to improve on for year 12 (people do improve within this amount of time). So don't feel too bad :)
Adv English doesn't scale poorly - it is about the same as Chemistry/Physics/Economics.

ChrisMueller

HSC
Uni Grad
what topics will you be doing for year 11 and 12 extension

EDIT: And I love your subject choices :) It's refreshing to see someone branching into other humanities as opposed to the | Adv Eng 4u Maths Chem Physics | combo.
Agree completely!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)