Can I get into a course with lower atar than the Cut-Off (1 Viewer)

watapple

HSC
I want to do Bachelor of Computing and mathematics at uts which has an atar cut off of 71.something but I got 62.15 atar

is it possible to get in?

D94

HSC
N/A
That cut-off was for 2013 commencing students. You appear to be a 2014 commencing student, so cut-offs have not been determined.

In fact, you cannot know the cut-off without knowing whether you are successful or not because cut-offs are determined after offers have been released.

So you should put your desired program/course as your first preference and fill up your other slots.

Whether you will get in or not depends on supply and demand - we cannot possibly know this now.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
You need a minimum entry requirement of 69 ATAR (excluding bonus points/special admission) into a course at UTS.

"To be eligible for admission to an undergraduate course at UTS you must satisfy at least one of the minimum admission requirements (matriculation) listed in the categories below, and be selected for enrolment in competition with other applicants.
1 Must have attained an Australian Year 12 or equivalent with an ATAR of 69 (excluding bonus points), or
2 completed a TAFE Tertiary Preparation Certifi cate, Associate diploma, AQF Diploma or Advanced diploma, or
3 completed one full-time year of tertiary studies.
For detailed admission requirements for all UTS courses, visit www.undergraduate.uts.edu.au/apply"

http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/undergraduate/institutions/uts.pdf

Last edited:

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Needless to say, you can try for admission. Even though UTS is quite easy on admission, I'm not sure about the minimum requirement policy. I don't know any friends/people of mine who got into UTS with 69 or below.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
maybe under bonus points schemes otherwise very slim chances

Samraz

HSC
Needless to say, you can try for admission. Even though UTS is quite easy on admission, I'm not sure about the minimum requirement policy. I don't know any friends/people of mine who got into UTS with 69 or below.
Oh dear. I got an ATAR of 67.90. Does that mean I can't get in despite my UTS preference on UAC? After all I am eligible to receive 3 bonus points due to HSC subject marks which would raise my ATAR to 70.90.

And to be eligible for the bonus point scheme the UTS website says:

UTS has put together the year 12 bonus scheme because we believe that your ability to undertake the course you choose can be better measured by looking at a combination of the subjects you have taken and your overall ATAR, rather than looking only at your ATAR. This is because your ATAR tells us where you sit compared to other people but doesn't take into account your ability in subjects relevant to the course you select.

Who is eligible?

Under the Year 12 Bonus Scheme you are eligible to receive bonus points as long as you have:

applied for a UTS course that awards bonus points
an ATAR (or interstate equivalent)
completed the relevant HSC subjects
It does not say you need 69 to receive bonus points.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Even if you scraped in i'd strongly advise against you doing the computing and mathematics course give than you studied general in the HSC, it is essentially a combined maths degree and pretty much all the students would have studied extension maths.

It does not say you need 69 to receive bonus points.
It always used to explicitly state that on the pages about bonus points, if that is no longer the case then maybe it is no longer part of their policy. I'd say it is since it says so in that UAC 2014 extract.

Last edited:

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
It's the 2014 updated version, so yes they still use the minimum 69 policy.

Brent is correct, the B.Computing & Mathematics pretty much speaks for itself, it's a maths + computing degree. In the first year of the first semester, you'll be studying a subject called "Introduction to Linear Dynamical Systems" - which contains eigenvalues, eigenvectors, matrix exponentials and their use in the solution of systems of differential equations etc. It's normally suited to a person with a Maths Extension I level. This course is not suited for General Maths students.

http://handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/35101.html

Last edited:

Samraz

HSC
It always used to explicitly state that on the pages about bonus points, if that is no longer the case then maybe it is no longer part of their policy. I'd say it is since it says so in that UAC 2014 extract.
There are two ways to get bonus points. One is the inpUTS access scheme which requires an ATAR of 69

inpUTS eligibility

Applications for Educational Access Scheme – inpUTS are assessed centrally through UAC. Each university then applies its own EAS selection criteria, which means you may be eligible at some universities, but not others. If you have met this minimum ATAR but been advised you are not eligible for the inpUTS scheme it means you did not meet our criteria.

For high school leavers, your application for the inpUTS Scheme will not be considered unless you achieve an ATAR of 69. This is the minimum required, before any bonus or concession points are applied.
The second is the Year 12 Bonus Scheme. It does not say anywhere on the criteria that you need a 69 for it:

Who is eligible?

Under the Year 12 Bonus Scheme you are eligible to receive bonus points as long as you have:

applied for a UTS course that awards bonus points
an ATAR (or interstate equivalent)
completed the relevant HSC subjects
So does that still mean that my Atar can be raised from 67.90 to 70.90? That could get me into B Management in Tourism

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
THe minimum is 69 according to what the UTS Future Student page said. They didn't mention anything about HSC subject bonus points, so I'm assuming its 69 before anything is applied which includes HSC bonus points + EAS.

https://www.facebook.com/UTSFutureStudents/posts/402558206487417

Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 11.21.33 am.jpg

So does that still mean that my Atar can be raised from 67.90 to 70.90? That could get me into B Management in Tourism
Mind you again, cutoffs change every year - that is last year's data.

Just wait till Thursday night and see what happens :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)