Can I get into Extension (1 Viewer)

Starship22

HSC
Hi! I moved into a new school this year and I have had the first of my 4 maths tests. Now Usually, my score will be somewhere around 90% however I was in a shocker when I found out my score was 45%. In 5.3 (which I am in), my teacher said only the top 40% of students get into extension, with the average mark being ~75%-80%

I calculated that I will need high A's for the rest of my tests in order to succeed, which seems hard. I already do tutoring but I am afraid I will miss out on the maths extension. If anybody has some advice on what to do from here then it would be greatly appreciated :)

cossine

HSC
Hi! I moved into a new school this year and I have had the first of my 4 maths tests. Now Usually, my score will be somewhere around 90% however I was in a shocker when I found out my score was 45%. In 5.3 (which I am in), my teacher said only the top 40% of students get into extension, with the average mark being ~75%-80%

I calculated that I will need high A's for the rest of my tests in order to succeed, which seems hard. I already do tutoring but I am afraid I will miss out on the maths extension. If anybody has some advice on what to do from here then it would be greatly appreciated :)
Yes you can. Practice online past paper on thsc.com. Use the textbook/youtube for anything you don't understand

kkk579

hello
HSC

unrelated but I think I also saw ur post on reddit lol

kkk579

hello
HSC

I’m going to assume u transferred into a highly ranked selective or private school from a not so good comprehensive or private school. Since the school is better that’s probably why u did significantly worse since the tests are made to be a lot harder to separate the great from the good from the mediocre, etc. Usually the first test doesn’t weigh much anyways so just smash out the rest if your exams and I’m sure you’ll be fine. How many ppl r in your grade? Take the top 40% of that to see what rank u must be to do extension 1. If possible ask for ur current rank so u have a rough idea of how much better u actually have to do.

Starship22

HSC
I’m going to assume u transferred into a highly-ranked selective or private school from a not-so-good comprehensive or private school. Since the school is better that’s probably why u did significantly worse since the tests are made to be a lot harder to separate the great from the good from the mediocre, etc. Usually, the first test doesn’t weigh much anyways so just smash out the rest of your exams and I’m sure you’ll be fine. How many ppl r in your grade? Take the top 40% of that to see what rank u must be to do extension 1. If possible ask for ur current rank so u have a rough idea of how much better u actually have to do.
Thank you for the advice. I transferred from a low-ranked selective to a much higher rank. In the 5.3 portion of the grade, there are roughly 125-150 people. The teacher said the top 60 students get in. I haven't asked for my rank but the average score of 5.3 was around 75%.

kkk579

hello
HSC
Thank you for the advice. I transferred from a low-ranked selective to a much higher rank. In the 5.3 portion of the grade, there are roughly 125-150 people. The teacher said the top 60 students get in. I haven't asked for my rank but the average score of 5.3 was around 75%.
what school did u transfer into (if u don’t mind telling)

carrotsss

HSC

It’s absolutely possible if you study enough. Also worth noting is that you could probably talk to your teacher about getting a bit of leniency because of your circumstances, changing schools isn’t easy and I’m sure it had some impact on your first mark

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
It’s really strange to me that selective schools cap the number of places in extension maths classes, particularly at such low numbers. Our local nonselective high school encourages anyone who wants to do extension maths to do so (not that most students would want to).

kkk579

hello
HSC
thats the same w/ kinross lmfao, the fact that selective schools limit these numbers for subjects despite having so many talented and hard working studends is really beyond me
It’s probably because of the ranks since it’s based off band 6 percentage. If the school doesn’t think someone is good enough to get a b6 in ext1 they would rather u do adv instead and get a band 6 in that so they have a higher b6 %. It’s all just for the schools benefit tbh.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
It’s probably because of the ranks since it’s based off band 6 percentage. If the school doesn’t think someone is good enough to get a b6 in ext1 they would rather u do adv instead and get a band 6 in that so they have a higher b6 %. It’s all just for the schools benefit tbh.
So if one person were to get lucky and then absolutely flunk the rest of the hsc, its alr?

yanujw

HSC
4 tests for year 10 maths? Wow, that's a lot. At my school we had an online test (I did year 10 in 2020), then an assignment, and then 2 in-person tests.

The good news for you is that schools generally put a greater weighting on the tests later in the year, particularly if one of them is a yearly exam, so you still have time to pull yourself up. I would recommend you learn ahead of your class then do a lot of thsc past papers. Particularly do the papers from 2018 onwards as this will be most relevant to your current syllabus. Doing past papers under timed conditions helped me go from an average of low 80s to getting high 90s and close to the top ranks from the second half of year 10 onwards.

Don't worry too much about the final mark and just focus on improving for the next assessments. And make sure you redo all the questions that you got wrong in that first test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)