Can I make up case studies in my essays and will that prevent me from scoring band 6? Also, can some of my case studies be about a domestic business? (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
While it is generally preferred that you incorporate real-life case study material, hypothetical case studies should not be problematic and certainly will not limit you from achieving your desired mark (i.e. a high mark). However, if you choose to talk about hypothetical case studies, ensure you consider the following:
  • Markers have found that hypothetical businesses are often a ‘super business’ that is perfect in every single way and therefore have no issues.
  • Ensure you demonstrate your knowledge of the content at a high standard, allowing you to maximise your chances of achieving a good mark for your response.
Regarding the first point, if you do choose to use a hypothetical case study, remember to make it realistic. This is due to the fact that the whole point of hypothetical material is to demonstrate a thorough understanding, not to be a perfect business.

Therefore, you can theoretically receive a 20/20 for your response, provided that your knowledge of the content is evident and is supported by a hypothetical case study that is well suited to the question.

I hope this helps! 😄

hellohowslife

HSC
While it is generally preferred that you incorporate real-life case study material, hypothetical case studies should not be problematic and certainly will not limit you from achieving your desired mark (i.e. a high mark). However, if you choose to talk about hypothetical case studies, ensure you consider the following:
  • Markers have found that hypothetical businesses are often a ‘super business’ that is perfect in every single way and therefore have no issues.
  • Ensure you demonstrate your knowledge of the content at a high standard, allowing you to maximise your chances of achieving a good mark for your response.
Regarding the first point, if you do choose to use a hypothetical case study, remember to make it realistic. This is due to the fact that the whole point of hypothetical material is to demonstrate a thorough understanding, not to be a perfect business.

Therefore, you can theoretically receive a 20/20 for your response, provided that your knowledge of the content is evident and is supported by a hypothetical case study that is well suited to the question.

I hope this helps! 😄
if we use a hypothetical case study r we meant to mention in the intro that its hypothetical

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
as Jimmy explained you can certainly use hypothetical businesses / fake case studies but it takes much more effort to do it right. I reckon markers will see it as lazy, I used a hypothetical case study only once in a mock exam due to a mind blank, and my teacher pointed it out and suggested that stronger B6 responses definitely use real examples not fake ones sooo I never did it again. it won't prevent you from getting a B6 but it's riskier than using a legit case study and harder to pull off successfully, but doable I guess. domestic businesses or a business of any size/reputation should be okay as long as your examples are real

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
if we use a hypothetical case study r we meant to mention in the intro that its hypothetical
Probably not, your response should be formulated in the same manner, irrespective of whether you use real-life case study material or explore a hypothetical business case study. With that being said, it is likely that markers will be able to recognise/distinguish hypothetical case study material from real-life cases without the need for you to point that out to them. For example, if I decide to discuss a hypothetical bookstore business called "Jimmypedia", markers will likely be able to tell that this is a made-up business that does not exist in real life, but that the information that is drawn from it is utilised to support my main points and ultimately provide a good quality response. :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You are allowed to do "hypothetical" examples, I used Smiths Tutoring for one of mine.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
No need to mention the business is hypothetical in the introduction. Often good to have a mixture of real-life examples, and some hypotheticals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)