Can i use anime as my related text? (1 Viewer)

knightus10

HSC
In reference to whether a teacher needs to know what your text is about or not, the answer is no, they do not have to know it. Just make sure you ground your related text when you're writing your essay, so that they can have a rough idea of what is going on. I used related texts that no one knew about and still got good marks.

Now for anime. Studio Ghibli, I guess, would be ok to use. But I remember asking my teachers about using this in year 11 (specifically spirited away/howl's moving castle), and they kept on commenting that it would be too 'childish' to use. They believed that it was more of a year 9-10 material and that they needed something more complex. So I wouldn't suggest using those.

Honestly, I think anime as a related text is a nono. You CAN use it, but I wouldn't recommend it. I only know one person who used an anime short film called "The Garden of Words," and got 18/20. However she was a great essay writer in our class. If you are confident that you can write well with an anime film/episode, go ahead and use it as a related text. It is still possible to receive good marks, but I would stray away from anime in general (especially the main animes such as Naruto, Bleach, Fma, One piece).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ANIME. And although I do agree that there are some deep and meaningful messages hiding there, most teachers/markers frown upon it.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I'd stay away from anime. It seems dodgy IMO because almost everyone uses a proper related text whether it'd be a song, poem, short, story, music or at least an episode from a famous TV series (e.g. the simpsons)

Shuuya

HSC
I'd stay away from anime. It seems dodgy IMO because almost everyone uses a proper related text whether it'd be a song, poem, short, story, music or at least an episode from a famous TV series (e.g. the simpsons)
That hurt me inside

'The Simpsons' is a proper related text while you're saying anime isn't? :/

Last edited:

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
"Proper"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)