Can my brother's teacher force my brother to do Standard Eng?-- help!!! (1 Viewer)

nailafun

HSC
My brother is in year 10 and is choosing his subjects. By BOS laws, is she allowed to not accept his application cos he wants to do Advanced English? She says he will do better in standard, but he really wants to do Advanced.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
My brother is in year 10 and is choosing his subjects. By BOS laws, is she allowed to not accept his application cos he wants to do Advanced English? She says he will do better in standard, but he really wants to do Advanced.
They can only advise strongly against him picking advanced English, they cannot restrict him from doing it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If its a government school can not legally restrict him to doing Advanced or forcing him to do Standard

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Force, no.

Strongly recommend, yes.

CloudDeter

HSC
Our school had something similar. I know our year 10s have been interviewed and one of my friends from that year said the teachers said he can't (from what I can remember) do Advanced English. However I know that for our year, if you do exceptionally well in the first terms of Standard English you can get offered to move to Advanced English.

Emily Howard

HSC
They cant force you at all, but in all honesty. teachers know whats up, might be wise to go with what they say.
m8 i was told not to do advanced english cos i got a C fo year 10

i ended up wit band 6 in advanced, its certainly doable but u hav to put the effort in n be prepared to drop down if u rnt good enough, its better den bein denied to see how youd fare in advanced

(do dey allow you to drop back down to standard dese days?)

HSC
English teachers are the worst out of every faculty, they are not doing it for your benefit, maybe a bit, but they are trying to get the most band 6's, to push up the year as high as they can, they don't think of the individuals, they think of the cohort as one, if you do not seem good enough, they want you out. That doesn't mean you should go out, it just means you are not very good at english, and the opinion of a teacher should not stop you, especially if you are aiming for a high atar. You can get better at English and they assume you can't. Force your way into Advanced English, and prove them wrong.

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
English teachers are the worst out of every faculty, they are not doing it for your benefit, maybe a bit, but they are trying to get the most band 6's, to push up the year as high as they can, they don't think of the individuals, they think of the cohort as one, if you do not seem good enough, they want you out. That doesn't mean you should go out, it just means you are not very good at english, and the opinion of a teacher should not stop you, especially if you are aiming for a high atar. You can get better at English and they assume you can't. Force your way into Advanced English, and prove them wrong.
I wouldn't say English teachers are the worst out of every faculty..depends on the school I guess.. BUT, If you prove yourself and put the effort in, most teachers (regardless of faculty) will be happy to assist with your studies

Honestly, I was quite happy that my school's English faculty looked after the cohort..rather than individuals, as this allowed us to achieve a high number of solid band 5's and Band 6's in Adv English. Also, the students who were told to drop into Standard English, there were about 15 of them, ended up with solid marks in the 80's...rather than getting 60 in Adv. English

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)