can some smart people plz help me!!!??? (1 Viewer)

beccy87

can someone plz help me with the energy systems part, like atp,adp aerobic,anarobic,alacticacid,lactic acid etc, ive go no idea! im fine with everything else but that stuff just fully confuses me! could someone exlain it in simple terms so i get it, thank u sooooo much! im so desperate!!

jeska

Alactacid system (ATP/PC):
o How it functions -
Residual supplies of ATP in the body are very limited, we only have sufficient supply for only one explosive muscular contraction.
An explosive movement causes the ATP molecule to split providing energy for muscular contraction.
The molecule will then become an ADP.
For further muscular work to be done creatine phosphate (CP) needs to be broken up, driving the free phosphate to the ADP molecule to make is an ATP again. Once reformed the ATP molecule can break down again.
Does not use oxygen.
o Source of fuel -
Approx 90 grams of ATP in our body. We only have a further 120 grams of CP, the fuel of this system.
o Efficiency of ATP production -
Functions rapidly to make ATP available.
The supply of ATP is limited if the demand is high, but the system is able to recover quickly.
o Duration of the system -
ATP supplies are exhausted after 2 seconds of hard work, and CP supples are exhausted in a further 10 to 15 seconds.
CP supplies are fully exhausted within 2 minutes.
o Cause of fatigue -
Fatigue is caused by the inability of the system to continually resynthesise ADP from CP.
o By products of energy production -
No fatiguing by products, but heat is produced.
o Rate of recovery -
Recovers quickly from exercise.
o Activities -
100m sprint, javelin, long jump, weightlifting etc

Lactic acid system:
o How it functions -
After CP is exhausted, ATP is still needed to produce energy.
Does not use oxygen.
o Source of fuel -
Needs to find another fuel, uses sugar supply circulating the blood, glucose, in a process called glycolsis.
Dependent on intensity.
Near max effort will cause exhaustion in 30 seconds, while at 70-80% max effort, exhaustion will occur from between 3-4 minutes.
o Cause of fatigue -
The higher the quantity of stored glycogen, the more energy will be available.
Fatigue will be caused mainly by high levels of lactic acid.
Training increases our ability to tolerate lactic acid.
The by-product is lactic acid.
Formed because pyruvic acid has not received sufficient oxygen.
As levels build up, the body is unable to perform at high levels on intensity.
o Rate of recovery -
It takes about half an hour to diffuse lactic acid back into the bloodstream, where it is them taken to the liver and reconverted to pyruvic acid and can once be used as a source of fuel again.
o Activities -
100m swimming, 400m running, 1 km of cycling etc.

Aerobic system:
o How it functions -
Physical inactivity lasting more than a few minutes requires the presence of oxygen.
Lactic acid does not accumulate, as oxygen is present.
o Source of fuel -
The sources are carbohydrate, fat and protein respectively.
o Efficiency of ATP production -
Extremely efficient in metabolism of fuel.
Enables production of much more energy from glycogen, enabling for sustained work for longer time periods.
The body has virtually unlimited supplies of fat and this is used as glycogen supplies are depleted.
Glycogen sparing results in fat fuels being used earlier so that glycogen can be available later, ensuring the body can operate for long periods of time.
o Cause of fatigue -
Not the lack of fuel but other factors contributing to this system.
As glycogen is the premium fuel for muscles, once it is depleted, the body will tire.
Fatigue occurs because fats require more oxygen for metabolism than carbohydrates, increasing body temp and respiration rate.

Carbon dioxide and water are by products, and by products that do not harm performance.
o Rate of recovery -
Dependent on the duration of use, may take days if system was used for hours.
o Activities -
Triathlon, marathon running, 1500m swim, cycling road race etc.

hope that makes a bit of sense... just remember, the atp/pc and alacticacid system are the same thing, and both the lactic acid and atp/pc systems are anaerobic systems.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
yeah and anaerobic does not use oxygen, whereas aerobic system uses oxygen

Last edited:

AGB

HSC
wow you ppl r smart....do u hav to know all of that for a pdhpe exam??

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AGB
wow you ppl r smart....do u hav to know all of that for a pdhpe exam??
I didn't even do PE/H/PD, and I knew all of that. Ah, my love for exercise physiology.

I've been taking a creatine supplement for awhile now. It's great. Some new research has even speculated that it buffers lactic acid.

Just a few side notes:
- the aerobic respiratory system occurs at a wide range of heart rate intensities, where the only essential difference between the intensities results in the different ratio of the macronutrients burnt. For this reason, people looking to lose weight should be exercising around 60% MHR, as this is the optimum rate for fat burning (85% fat, 10% fat, 5% protein).

If you go to the gym, I'd recommend you to take some simple carbohydrates and some protein right after a session. The metabolism reducing and protein decomposition implecations of the hormone cortisol will drive you nuts.

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Hah, I'm trying to major in Nutrition in uni. I won't be able to major in exercise physiology but I already know a hell of alot on the subject from past studies etc. and answering questions as a moderator on a health forum.

I didn't know you were a PE/H/PD chick!!?!? This definitely makes up for your lack of interest in maths. ;)

Collin

HSC
N/A
It's much more interesting than maths? :O.. *gasp*.. *dies*

.. okay fine, it is. :p

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
no! Maths rocks! How the hell is PD more interesting than maths?!? :confused:

Well, yeah, the physical bit IS more interesting, but I think you left the physical thing behind in year 10. No more physical bits in yera 11/12, huh?

So
Maths > PD/H/PE
:p :)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Orange Council
no! Maths rocks! How the hell is PD more interesting than maths?!? :confused:

Well, yeah, the physical bit IS more interesting, but I think you left the physical thing behind in year 10. No more physical bits in yera 11/12, huh?

So
Maths > PD/H/PE
:p :)
Mate it really depends. If you pit algebra/calculus against biochemistry/nutrition/exercise physiology, I'd be undecided. But there are some pretty crappy topics in both subjects. *cough*probability/statistics*cough*
..infact *cough*EntireGeneralMathematicscourse*cough* :p

TheKing

i'm smart and goodlooking............

and did i mention that i was smart?

TheKing

well i just thought that some people might like to know that for future reference....
but fine i won't say it in this thread again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)