Can someone clarify how offers are made? (1 Viewer)

whimsical

HSC
My understanding is this:
The University of Australia offers a Bachelor of University Studies. There are 300 places and 400 applicants. The first 300 people have an ATAR of 94+ where the rest fall a teensy bit below. All vacancies are allocated to the highest scoring ATAR candidates, and the cutoff becomes 94.5.
Yes?

However: The University of Australia also offers a Bachelor of Tertiary Education. There are 100 places and only 20 applicants. The range of ATARS of applicants is between 68 - 90. All candidates are given a position leaving 80 vacancies. The ATAR cutoff becomes that of the lowest applicant and in the late round, more positions are given out to people who change their preferences.

Am I right or do Universities rather allocate a cutoff - say UA withe their B/TE allocate a 70. Does that mean despite all these vacancies, those with an ATAR lower than 70 are not given a position?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, just trying to clarify how this whole shebang works.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Some unis allocate a cutoff.
It depends on the course.

Engineering degrees at UNSW are given cutoffs of 91, law at ANU is 96 (iirc), advanced science at USyd, UNSW, UoW, etc. are given a cutoff of 95, and advanced courses and law courses at UWS are given cutoffs of 90.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
From what I heard..uni's have the full power of making an offer to students, they can give an offer to a student who has the lowest cut-off if he/she applied. I dont think the lowest atar/uai that the student had would be the cut-off published in the main round offers though..

I also heard cut-offs (On this site and elsewhere) where EXAGERATTED.. meaning even though they where high cut-offs, people where still receiving offers to courses below or heaps below the published cut-off..

lol, atleast that clears things up for you a bit I hope..

Also what you mean by "The university of Australia?" Theres no such uni in australia called that...unless you mean Uni of western Australia or UWS?

whimsical

HSC
Woo okay, thanks for that :) And the University of Australia was just a hypothetical to prevent people giving me details about any particular course.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Whimsical...have you heard about the recent political changes under the Gillard government? its called the "Demand driven funding" of university places where there is now a policy into effect where uni vacancy places are being more "UNcapped" meaning its a little more easier for people to get an offer into a course.

The number of offers USE to be under most control by the Government (Or I think the tertiary education minister) or the Education minister (Tony garret or something). BUT now Universities can NOW allocate and have the control over who gets into university and who does'nt (or the control of the ATAR cut-offs)

woops...peter garret

Last edited:

uac.aplcnt

HSC
So basically, uni's have the most control now over who gets an offer now - it depends on the supply of the uni and the amount of demand of applicants or demand for students wanting to do a degree. Hence the name "Demand - driven", so if there is more demand from students/people..the govt. will fund MORE vacant places/resources to the university..THEN its upto the uni to decide whether or not they will fulfill that demand.

Basically it will be a little easier to get into uni compared to when the govt. had the control over allocating uni places/vacancies.. its all to do with funding too.

Im stopping here now ...

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Riproot what do you mean about "SOME" unis allocate their cut-offs?? More like MOST universities do! lol

@Whimsical

Oh ok, I thought you meant UWA (WA) or something..

Basically what you said in your last two paragraphs in your OP (opening post) is mostly the right way to think about it for now.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
oh and finally...some people can get into uni even if there UAI is under 70 and the cut-off in the main round is 70..lol..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)