Can someone explain how the 4unit Maths system works? (1 Viewer)

peachtree

HSC
So I am an accelerate student for maths and I have completed HSC for Mathematics and Ext.1. But since I am doing Ext.2 maths, my school decided that Ext.2 maths should be counted as a one unit subject which puts my class in a disadvantage.

But the thing is that Mathematics doesn't count when doing Ext.2 maths. So why is that Ext.2 maths counted as 1 unit?

This is the scenario:

This is what my school is doing:
Mathematics: 2 units
Ext.1 : 1 unit
Ext.2 : 1 unit

What should of happen (since Mathematics doesn't count):
Ext.1 : 2 units
Ext.2: 2 units

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So I am an accelerate student for maths and I have completed HSC for Mathematics and Ext.1. But since I am doing Ext.2 maths, my school decided that Ext.2 maths should be counted as a one unit subject which puts my class in a disadvantage.

But the thing is that Mathematics doesn't count when doing Ext.2 maths. So why is that Ext.2 maths counted as 1 unit?

This is the scenario:

This is what my school is doing:
Mathematics: 2 units
Ext.1 : 1 unit
Ext.2 : 1 unit

What should of happen (since Mathematics doesn't count):
Ext.1 : 2 units
Ext.2: 2 units
Your school shouldn't be able to influence this, should it? Maths Extension 1 & 2 should each count as two units for your HSC.

peachtree

HSC
I don't know, maybe my school is a little bit retarded as they "thought" 2 units for Ext.2 would cause more stress seem to be a invalid response. Ironicy, i would be stressed out for having less time to learn in 1 unit :L

leehuan

HSC
Can you please check your studentsonline account to see what it is regarded as there? Because usually MX1 and MX2 get counted as two units there regardless of acceleration's impact (first hand experience).

If, by chance, they AREN'T, then you should consult your curriculum coordinator first, and if even that results in a fail you have to ring up BOSTES. I assume you've already seen your maths coordinator.

Edit: Note - For my 2U component, it still says I completed two units worth of 2U mathematics. But I know it won't get counted in my ATAR, however.

Last edited:

photastic

HSC
I don't know, maybe my school is a little bit retarded as they "thought" 2 units for Ext.2 would cause more stress seem to be a invalid response. Ironicy, i would be stressed out for having less time to learn in 1 unit :L
Show this to your school. It does not matter if you're accelerated or not.

http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/ATAR-FAQs.pdf

Page 11 "How many units of maths can be included in the calculation of the ATAR? Up to four units of maths can be included in the ATAR calculation. Students studying Mathematics Extension 1 should be aware that it has a different weighting (in terms of units) depending on whether Mathematics or Mathematics Extension 2 is taken as well. If students study Mathematics (2 units), then Mathematics Extension 1 accounts for 1 unit. If students study Mathematics Extension 2 (2 units), then Mathematics Extension 1 accounts for 2 units."

D94

HSC
N/A
You will not see Mathematics anywhere on your official testamur. That subject does not exist if you do 4u. You will also sign an agreement with the Board that outlines your subjects, that too will not have Mathematics on it, and also, it will show 3u and 4u as being 2 units each.

Your principal is incompetent. Hopefully for your sake, that isn't a reflection on your school's HSC performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)