Can someone explain this quote to me? (1 Viewer)

Georgehana

HSC
Can someone explain this quote to me and what they think it means?
"I judge a religion as being good or bad based on whether it adherents become better people as a result of practising it."

Atar Hater

hardout gangsta
HSC
Well that's just valuing some subjective, abstract concept of becoming "better" (what is better).

It lacks any integrity.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Can someone explain this quote to me and what they think it means?
"I judge a religion as being good or bad based on whether it adherents become better people as a result of practising it."
It basically means that a certain religion can be judged as either a good thing or a bad thing, based upon the effect it has on the people that follow it. A good religion influences people for good. A bad religion badly influences people.

That's the meaning. As for a critique of it; it's highly simplistic. Clearly, empirical evidence shows all religions (or at least definitely the major ones) have people both good and bad as adherents. Therefore, the statement holds no tangible value, because it cannot prove anything.

avro

HSC
No religion starts off as good or bad. How the adherents live their lives is what determines the good or bad scale. Do the core beliefs which are mostly in the sacred scriptures have any bearing on how an adherent lives day to day? If the religion teaches good, but the adherent does the opposite, then the religion has failed in its teachings, etc.

Georgehana

HSC
Ok guys, now I need a bit of help. Thanks for everyone who responded, but how would I link this quote to the living and dynamic characteristics of christianity

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Ok guys, now I need a bit of help. Thanks for everyone who responded, but how would I link this quote to the living and dynamic characteristics of christianity
You would then make a decision about Christianity as to whether it is a good or bad religion based on the people who follow it. You discuss it in relation to them. For instance, you could mention the work of Churches in social programs, however, you could just as realistically examine those who bomb abortion clinics or the Westboro Baptist Church. You look at the actions of all the different types of Christians, and make a judgement based on their behaviour.

Georgehana

HSC
I think I worded the question wrong sorry, it goes like this; with reference to the quote, explain the ways in which either Christianity is living and dynamic via the characteristic of religion.

same thing"?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think I worded the question wrong sorry, it goes like this; with reference to the quote, explain the ways in which either Christianity is living and dynamic via the characteristic of religion.

same thing"?
I would guess so, but the wording doesn't really make sense.

delian

HSC
N/A
I think it means
a)people become "good"- then good religion
b)people become "bad"- then bad religion

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I know, stupid teacher :p
Basically, I think your best bet is to just follow what we've come up with. Our understanding of the quote I'd say is correct. You just need to apply it to Christianity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)