Can universities see your course preferences? (1 Viewer)

LM2009

HSC
Can universities view your entire list of course preferences in order when they consider you for a spot?

I ask because I feel like some unis might be a less inclined to accept an applicant for a competitive course such as Vet Science (where desire to actually be a vet would play a role) if that applicant placed it as a second or third choice.

Thanks

Epic

HSC
I'm not sure if they can view your entire list of preferences but I do know that they can view which spot their course is listed as.

UNE rang me up asking if I had any questions and they seemed to know that I placed one of their courses 8th...

HSC
UAC collects your preferences, UAC then sends your preferences to the respective unis. Meaning the uni will only know what preference you have if it's for their uni

eg.
1. UNE
2. UNCLE
3. UNSW
4. UNE

UNE will only see
1. UNE and 4. UNE

LM2009

HSC
I guess the next question would be does it play a role in their decision? Would a competitive course like vet science not give someone a place because they didn't put it as their first preference?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I guess the next question would be does it play a role in their decision? Would a competitive course like vet science not give someone a place because they didn't put it as their first preference?
It does for some courses. UOW Creative Arts (Performance) does not accept anyone without it as their first preference.

spazamataz

HSC
I got rejected from CSU Communication/Business because they weren't my first preference and they only gave out offers in the early January round.

Epic

HSC
I think certain uni's only give out early offers / give out bonus points to students who have put their uni as 1st pref. Not 100% sure though but I read that on some uni site.

HellBender

HSC
It's really flawed isn't it? Making such a distinction for candidates that has nothing to do with skill.

Epic

HSC
Ah this is really not what I wanted to hear.
It shouldn't be a problem. If it comes down to that course and your ATAR is higher than other applicants you will get the offer, regardless of where the course is on your list. Applicants that placed the course higher in their preferences and have a lower ATAR than you won't be favoured.

Last edited:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Unless there are rules for a particular course, UAC says that all lower-preference applicants will be considered equally with first-preference applicants.

samaccount123

HSC
I think certain uni's only give out early offers / give out bonus points to students who have put their uni as 1st pref. Not 100% sure though but I read that on some uni site.
isnt that only for scholarships?

hotdimsim

HSC
It's really flawed isn't it? Making such a distinction for candidates that has nothing to do with skill.
Actually, its quite smart. Its not a personal issue to do with the student, but the uni can make the judgement that someone with a lower ATAR (but above the cutoff) who has a course at no. 1 is better suited to that course than someone who has a very high ATAR but has it as there no. 5 preference.

This is one of the inherent problems with our system, it doesnt measure how much someone wants to do a course compared to other applicants as the system is all numbers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)