can you achieve a high uai if you stuff up your first assessments? (1 Viewer)

olay

HSC
hey so what happens if theres say only 5 ppl in the class? what happens to the bottom person? isn't that a bit unfair considering theres so few ppl in the class you're up against?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Your school plays no effect on the scaling of marks.

The Board of Studies/UAC simply use the marks they are given.

When there are 5 people in the class, the person ranked 5th will be awarded the lowest aligned exam mark as their Internal assessment mark.

So it doesn't necesarrily mean that the lowest mark will be poor. If in the pool of marks the lowest exam mark was 85, then you will be awarded 85 as your Internal assessment which isn't bad.

The myth of whether a School has an effect on your UAI is completely false. If you attended a poor acedemic School and you put a lot of effort in to study, you would be ranked better than most students. Conversely, if you attended a very able acedemic school and you came last with a high mark, that high mark would become your assessment mark, thus cancelling out the factor of saying that a school will make a difference.

jimbo

yeah just kill the hsc exam and it compensates for every messed up assessments

username

HSC
In order to get a uai of say 96-97, what ranks and marks would i need?

I do:

Business
Eco
Modern
Maths 2 unit advanced
English advanced
Legal

In my first assessments i got for:

Business: 6th/30 70%
Eco: 1st/28 95%
english: 14/60 83%
Maths 2 unit: 3/24 88%
Modern: 9/28 94%
Legal: 4/9 88%

Last edited:

craz

HSC
i stuffed up my first assessment and still managed to get a reasonable UAI..even in a small school - my school had only 15 so some classes were 2 or 3 but i kept thinking about u guys...and the competition that way ;)

Angelo

I am doing Combined Law in 2004 at USYD. I stuffed up MOST of my first assessments in 2003:
subject: mark (rank)
4 unit maths: 75% (7/21)
Physics 81% (23/70)
Chemistry 81% (29/70)
English adv 80% (55/150)
IPT 91% (2/20) ---> This subject din't count for UAI tho
3 unit maths 100% (1/70) ---> I only lost 3 marks all year.

I screwed up 8 funking units worth, and I was seriously feeling down. It cost me 99.70+ UAI.
I absolutely blitzed everything for all subjects after that and got a UAI of 99.65. So there is hope even if u screw up ur first assessments. Oh, btw, by blitzing I mean: Top 3 in every assessment and in HSC in every subject after first assessments, except Eng Adv trials (I came 25th).

My advice to get 99.70+:
1. Try your absolute best to get band 6 in English Advanced. It will go a very very long way to getting 99.70+. According to SAM, my UAI would be 99.80 with a band 6 for EngA.
2. Work very very hard, I mean realllly hard at subjects you are weak at. For 3 weeks before HSC, I studied 15 hours/day, MOST of which was English. After a LOT of hard work, my EngA exam mark was only 89, but incidentally, this was the 3rd highest mark in our school in the HSC, so I felt pretty good.
3. Do not screw up trials (usually worth 40% internal) or the HSC. I screwed up EngA trials, and paid the price. Learn from mistakes in less weighty assessments. Do a funk load of practice before trials and HSC. Make sure you go through any probs with ur teachers.
4. Don't think scaling will help you if you do "high scaling" subjects (excepting of course 4 unit maths). My physics/chem/3 u maths/IPT/EngA HSC exam marks were pretty much the raw marks I expected to get in them. Aim close to 100 % raw in every assessment in every subject you do (except, again, 4 unit maths).
5. Make notes and study all the way through the year. If you want Chem/IPT/Physics notes or English Advanced essays, just ask me. Put notes into your own words. For maths, do a heck of a lot of practice. For 3 unit, do heaps of Q 6 and Q 7 practice for trials/HSC. For 4 unit... practice a lot and try your absolute best, that's all you can do.

Sorry for the excessive length of the post, but I hope that I have been able to impart some helpful advice.

Last edited:

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
My principal said the following to me:
English is the only thing standing between you and 100 UAI
He was virtually spot on as if I had aced english adv, I would have almost cracked the 99.90 mark...

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
at our school, english was the major shortcoming of many good students

Iunny

Originally posted by Angelo
I am doing Combined Law in 2004 at USYD. I stuffed up MOST of my first assessments in 2003:
subject: mark (rank)
4 unit maths: 75% (7/21)
Physics 81% (23/70)
Chemistry 81% (29/70)
English adv 80% (55/150)
IPT 91% (2/20) ---> This subject din't count for UAI tho
3 unit maths 100% (1/70) ---> I only lost 3 marks all year.

I screwed up 8 funking units worth, and I was seriously feeling down. It cost me 99.70+ UAI.
I absolutely blitzed everything for all subjects after that and got a UAI of 99.65. So there is hope even if u screw up ur first assessments. Oh, btw, by blitzing I mean: Top 3 in every assessment and in HSC in every subject after first assessments, except Eng Adv trials (I came 25th).

My advice to get 99.70+:
1. Try your absolute best to get band 6 in English Advanced. It will go a very very long way to getting 99.70+. According to SAM, my UAI would be 99.80 with a band 6 for EngA.
2. Work very very hard, I mean realllly hard at subjects you are weak at. For 3 weeks before HSC, I studied 15 hours/day, MOST of which was English. After a LOT of hard work, my EngA exam mark was only 89, but incidentally, this was the 3rd highest mark in our school in the HSC, so I felt pretty good.
3. Do not screw up trials (usually worth 40% internal) or the HSC. I screwed up EngA trials, and paid the price. Learn from mistakes in less weighty assessments. Do a funk load of practice before trials and HSC. Make sure you go through any probs with ur teachers.
4. Don't think scaling will help you if you do "high scaling" subjects (excepting of course 4 unit maths). My physics/chem/3 u maths/IPT/EngA HSC exam marks were pretty much the raw marks I expected to get in them. Aim close to 100 % raw in every assessment in every subject you do (except, again, 4 unit maths).
5. Make notes and study all the way through the year. If you want Chem/IPT/Physics notes or English Advanced essays, just ask me. Put notes into your own words. For maths, do a heck of a lot of practice. For 3 unit, do heaps of Q 6 and Q 7 practice for trials/HSC. For 4 unit... practice a lot and try your absolute best, that's all you can do.

Sorry for the excessive length of the post, but I hope that I have been able to impart some helpful advice.
Hey Angelo, when did you start working hard and what school did you use to go to?

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
hey don't worry,
like in my case , i think i wasn't first when it came 2 assessments .......i never gave much time for assesments....so i came second or third ( don't remember now) but i caught up in the trials ...n came first in most of my subjects....n thus ended up coming first in the overall internal school assesments.
well , if u have stuffed up ur first assessments....don't worry....study hard from now on n catch up asap!!

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Iunny
^^^I would love to come second or 3rd without trying hard lol
Don't worry..it varies from skool to skool...u mite be at some selective skool or some really top skool...so it shud be alrite...at my skool it was relatively easy to get 1st, 2nd or 3rd rank so i'd say it also depends on how others go in your year.

Angelo

Originally posted by Iunny
Hey Angelo, when did you start working hard and what school did you use to go to?
I tried to work hard from the start. In fact, I did the year 12 3U maths course in 6 days in the hols prior to beginning of Year 12 (which contributed to my success in that subject). But achieving a UAI of 99.5+ takes more than just hard work. I *really* started putting in after screwing up first round assessments, but with a more rigid study routine . I went to a selective school that finished in the top 30 in 2003. It was very hard to come in the top 15 in any subject, let alone top 3.

Last edited:

mashi

Elite
HSC
girl, i hav no idea watchu frettin abt

this yana person goes 2 hgsh n pretti much tops de grade in most subjects :p shes super smart n by 'stuffing up first assessments' i wud guess she lost a mark in 4u maths or sum shit haha =D

good one yanan :p

yanananananana

= Token Asian =
HSC
mashi??? er... is that you minju???

don listen to her guys... instead of killing the exams... the exams killed me :angry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)