Can you do Ext English in Yr 12 without doing in Yr 11? (1 Viewer)

Abtari

HSC
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if I'm allowed to do Ext 1 or 2 english in Yr 12 even though I haven't done it in Yr 11?

I heard that Ext Eng scales up pretty good...

Also, is Advanced ENglish scaled up????

Kulazzi

HSC
I'm not sure abt english ext. 1 but you cannot do eng ext. 2 UNLESS you have done the ext. 1 course for preliminary. I don't think that you can pick up extension subjects for yr 12 (or it might just be my school).

Believe it or not, Advanced english is scaled the same as standard english. If you do extension english, then I think it will scale your mark up for advanced, otherwise it's the same.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You can't take HSC English Extension 1 in Yr 12 unless you've completed the Preliminary Extension 1 course in Yr 11.

The Extension courses don't give you better scaling for the corresponding 2U courses, but you might find it easier to learn some of the material.

Abtari

HSC
How??

I thought 2U English was independent of ext Eng courses. Does ext Eng help scale up your marks for Advanced english? I think Lazarus is right...it might help you indirectly only.

ANd about standard and Advanced English being scaled the same, aren't subjects scaled according to their diffi culty? e.g. 4U Maths is scaled high because it is hard and so forth. Then why isn't advanced scaled differently to Standard??!

Kulazzi

HSC
if you look at the syllabus, it says that adv. and standard has a common text, or something like that. I think thats one reason why they're the same. There are probably heaps more.......agreed that 4U maths is much harder. That's like a logic subject whereas english is not. I think I'll stick to 2U :p

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
some school may let you drop another course and transfer to ext eng. you would have to get approval though from principal/deputy etc and may have to fight to do it. I know people that have picked up a new sub in year 12, coz they hated one of their year 11 subs. but know it is not a common thing that you can do nor is it a thing that everyone would be able to do. you would have had to have demonstarted a good ability in advanced and be prepared to catch up on stuff ...

cimbom

HSC
with maths and english extension you're meant to do the preliminary course, with music, languages and history it's only in the HSC. But, i've heard of some schools that let you do the HSC maths extension course without having done it in yr.11- wish it was my school :mad:

But with english extension, there really is no course work that carries over to yr. 12- so I don't see why they cant let you, if the school wants to do something sneaky and tell the board of studies something different, i don't know...

Last edited:

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
yeh there are def. some schools that let you pick up ext eng/maths for year 12 only. english it is understandable .. but maths!!!! .. that would be soooo hard to catch up on/soooo much effort/ not worth it!!!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I have seen people pick up ext 1 in yr 12 without doing the prelim although technically, they shoudlnt. It still works out somehow.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
yeah .. but then again people i know have swapped year 11 courses in term 3, which is nearly the same as picking up a whole new subject in term 4.
anyways to the thread starter:
ask whether you can do it when you go back to school ( if you really wanna pick it up and are prepared to put in lotsa effect etc)
ask straight away!!! dont leave it a few weeks/days as it may be too late. also if you ask staright away they will be seee you are keen to do it!
also tell them that you think that you will get a better hsc result if you undertake ext eng! ( teachers want their students to get good/hsc marks/uai) i have seen people get heaps of stuff at school/break a few board of studies rules by saying it will help them ...

Alaranth

With scaling, if you look at SAM, Adv, eng actually scales DOWN. So does standard. I assume it's cos they're compulsary. Ext 1 & 2 scale up though.

Abtari

HSC
I know, that really sucks doesn't it? But hey if you get a way above average mark you'll be fine, and you won't be affected by the scaling system as bad.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Even though Advanced and Standard English are scaled the same, I think there were very few, if not, no Standard candidates who got Band 6 (I'll let Lazarus confirm or deny that). My English teacher said that he believes it's better to do badly in Advanced than to do well in Standard - whether that is true for absolutely failing Advanced, I'm not sure, but it is probably true if you're getting average or slightly below average marks for Advanced.

Abtari

HSC
What about Advanced?

Do any students get Band 6 in Advanced? How common is it??

Seems like an impossibilty to me, what do yous reckon??

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
Abtari said:
Do any students get Band 6 in Advanced? How common is it??

Seems like an impossibilty to me, what do yous reckon??

in 2003, 7% of students got a band 6 in advanced english ( compared with less than 1% of standard english students)

35% of students got a band 5 in advanced ( 2% got a band 5 in standard)

thus in 2003
42% of advanced english students got a band 5/6
wheras less than 3% of standard people got a 5/6

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
well our school is like majorly flexible so they let the good adv students pick up ext1 english as long as they read all our texts and do the assessment tasks- a essay, writing portfolio and speech. they don't have to do the exam. one of my friends only did advanced this yr but is picking up ext1 so she can pick up ext2.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
... we dont even have to read the prelim texts/do any assesments if we pick up ext for year 12 ( we are told to focus on just doing good in year 12, rather than go back and read unrelated texts and try fix up the past) .. just our schools philosohpy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)