Can you go up the corporate ladder in big 4 with just a straight b.commerce? NO MBA.. (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Can you climb the corporate ladder in a big 4 audit without an MBA? Or is MBA a must if you want to get those senior positions.

Jinks

HSC
Re: Can you go up the corporate ladder in big 4 with just a straight b.commerce? NO M

Absolutely, I don't think a MBA is vital at all to achieve ranks of partner etc in a Big 4

lawstu

HSC
Re: Can you go up the corporate ladder in big 4 with just a straight b.commerce? NO M

A postgrad degree isn't required, but it also wouldn't hurt.

From my understanding, to even get an MBA, you would first need to pay your dues and work as a graduate, then whatever firms call PG2s, PG3s, etc. After that, you might then have some managerial and work experience to allow you to apply for an MBA course, which could be paid for by your employer. Graduating with an MBA, you would very likely be promoted up the ranks.

What's most important for you at this juncture is simply doing well in your course or in your work, so that prospective employers, your employer, or your manager sees value in you.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad

CA, then CPA are far more prevalent for a graduate wanting to move up through Big 4. (and most accounting firms really)

Personally, masters degrees are overpriced and worthless to most people; Great if your 40 and working in big 4 and want to add a little extra to your credentials, but won't make a huge difference unless it's you and another guy gunning for partner after 15-20 years service really.

http://www.smh.com.au/small-busines...e-paper-theyre-written-on-20130305-2fhon.html is a bit of an interesting read about the so called "value" of a MBA in Australia. The comments are worth reading personally.

Last edited:

Jinks

HSC

CA, then CPA are far more prevalent for a graduate wanting to move up through Big 4. (and most accounting firms really)

Personally, masters degrees are overpriced and worthless to most people; Great if your 40 and working in big 4 and want to add a little extra to your credentials, but won't make a huge difference unless it's you and another guy gunning for partner after 15-20 years service really.

http://www.smh.com.au/small-busines...e-paper-theyre-written-on-20130305-2fhon.html is a bit of an interesting read about the so called "value" of a MBA in Australia. The comments are worth reading personally.

Interesting article!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

MBAs aren't vital/must-haves but they could be what differentiates you from your peers. As others have mentioned though, and the same advice was given to me by a partner when I asked if I should do an MBA was that until you've been a manager or senior manager at least with some experience, you won't gain much from doing an MBA other than the piece of paper. The real value comes from being able to relate to experiences as well as network- neither of which are likely to happen much if you're a fresh associate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)