Canadian questions (1 Viewer)

Gretzky99

HSC
N/A
I am a Canadian moving to Wollongong for school in February, living in Campus East, and was wondering if there is anywhere to play ice hockey? Basically any sport with a weapon will do, but preferablly hockey. Also, what are the good beers in Australia and how much does a pint normally run, as well as puchasing by the bottle in the liqour store?

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Ice hockey aye? Well, im pretty sure there ARE Ice Hockey clubs and such in Aus, their proximity to Wollongong im not sure.

Good beers? Carlton Draught is my preference. Tooheys Extra Dry. Tooheys New. In the premium catagory Crown Lager. A Schooner will cost you anywhere between 2 dollars to 5 dollars normally. Wollongong may have subsidised beer or happy hours at the bar, but I am not sure of this.

Enjoy your stay in Aus, i'm sure you will find it rather pleasant in a place like Wollongong.

Ashleet

HSC
i think that your closest ice hockey club would be in Penrith (Penrith Ice Palace I think is what the centre is called) just look them up in the yellow pages and give them a call. They might be able to tell you if there are any closer clubs (takes about an hour and a half to get to penrith from the Gong)

pam17

like heaven to touch
HSC
There's an Ice Hockey League at Liverpool now as well and also at Bankstown and Punchbowl. Distances from Wollongong vary though, I live near Liverpool and can make it to Wollongong in 40 minutes, it depends which way you go.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
pam17 said:
There's an Ice Hockey League at Liverpool now as well and also at Bankstown and Punchbowl. Distances from Wollongong vary though, I live near Liverpool and can make it to Wollongong in 40 minutes, it depends which way you go.
40 minutes from liverpool? Which way do you go, because I'd love to get there that quick and I'm living south-west of Campbelltown.

Gretzky99

HSC
N/A
Not sure what it is in Australia, but a pint is usually 20 ounces in Canada.

As for the hockey situation, I realize ice hockey might be hard to come by near wollongong but is there roller hockey? Also, what are the golf course like in Wollongong as far as niceness and price?

pam17

like heaven to touch
HSC
Raiks said:
40 minutes from liverpool? Which way do you go, because I'd love to get there that quick and I'm living south-west of Campbelltown.

Appin or Picton Road leads straight to F6 which in turn leads straight to campus. We did it today and it took about 45 minutes and that was at about 6.30pm.

Which way do you go?

pam17

like heaven to touch
HSC
Gretzky99 said:

As for the hockey situation, I realize ice hockey might be hard to come by near wollongong but is there roller hockey? Also, what are the golf course like in Wollongong as far as niceness and price?

RE: golf courses. My boyfriend says The Grange is probably one of the better courses at Wollongong and you get on for a reasonable price. Further down at Shellharbour there's a new links course that has just opened that he says is pretty nice.

pinoying

HSC
Gretzky99 said:

I do believe there is a roller hockey league locally... One of my neighbours used to play quite a bit. However I wouldn't be able to give you any details.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
pam17 said:
Appin or Picton Road leads straight to F6 which in turn leads straight to campus. We did it today and it took about 45 minutes and that was at about 6.30pm.

Which way do you go?
I do it in about 45, same way, either through Picton Road and then towards Appin Road or straight along to Appin Road... and I'm living between Campbelltown and Appin. I was just suprised that you did it that quick, thats all especially from liverpool.

Just a tip to those driving, if you're going to uni at 8:30am, give yourself a spare 25min because the traffic queues up past the exit ramp and back onto the highway some days, especially at the beginning of semester when all the 1st years invade the place. And if you want to park for free, go across the bridge after the exit ramp and instead of turning right, turn left and park behind the botannical gardens, no time limit except for the garden carpark plus you can walk stright through the park (about 250m) into uni and avoid all the hassle.

But if you bought a parking permit, remember it doesn't necessarily guarantee you a parking spot.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Ya usually need to go to an RSL for a pint and they cost between $3 - $5 depending on where you go. The Gong, it's more around $3ish -- It's not until ya start going to City Clubs that you get charged more. A few Pubs in the Sutho area sell pints too.

Schooners are usually a bit cheeper, and hit the pubs/clubs during Happy Hour and your set (usually starts around 5).

Good beers? Go for Victoria Bitter. Better than New anyday :p

What part of Canada are ya from?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
We get a schooner here. You can ask for a pint. If the bar has one they'll give you a pint, if not you get a schooner. Which is 375ml. I have no clue what it is in the useless imperial system though. :(

And ignore White Rabbit. Thooey's New... Carlton Draught are the only two good beers.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Look mate, i think it's only fair I tell you. New tastes like diluted horse piss. Really :p Nobody is quite sure about Carlton mind you.... ;)

Poloktim is a little confused, because you see, VB is actually the only real beer here. Apart from Guinness.

Hey, if you want free beer, do your RSA and a bar course. I did my bar course yesterday and they show you how to pour beer, and you do 2 or 3 and so by the time everyones done, theres a good 20 - 25 beers on the bar. It's only light, but it's free! Not many people drink it because they're fluffy girls (one two of us would drink it :p) or they pansy boys. Or they needed to drive home.. either way, free beer! Oh, and you can get a job in a bar/hotel/club/bottlo ect.

Gretzky99

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the beer tips. I have heard of this Victoria Bitter before so I geuss I will give that a go. WE have Carlsburg in Canada but nobody drinks it, not that I have ever tried it. I grew up in Halifax, Nova Scotia which is on the far east side of Canada, but have been living in Toronto for the last 2 years...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)