Cannot get job anywhere (1 Viewer)

noturningback

HSC
About 4 weeks ago I went up to my local shopping center and applied for about 6 or 7 jobs. Every single one except for one was applied for in-store. The one that was not applied for in store was sanity which has been the only one to call me back, i went to the interview but didn't get the job.

I am extremely frustrated that not a single place has called me back and now I find myself, 2 weeks before Christmas with no job. I am 17 and spent a year working in a fruit and vegetable shop so I have some experience.

I am unable to understand why I cannot get a job anywhere, it shouldn't be this hard. I may apply for Mcdonalds (From the beginning of my job search I was 100% opposed to working there) but now I find myself with no other options.

If anyone could provide any suggestions in finding a job I'd be greatly appreciative.

On a less related note: I cannot find how to apply for subway online, am I missing something?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
noturningback said:
About 4 weeks ago I went up to my local shopping center and applied for about 6 or 7 jobs. Every single one except for one was applied for in-store. The one that was not applied for in store was sanity which has been the only one to call me back, i went to the interview but didn't get the job.

I am extremely frustrated that not a single place has called me back and now I find myself, 2 weeks before Christmas with no job. I am 17 and spent a year working in a fruit and vegetable shop so I have some experience.

I am unable to understand why I cannot get a job anywhere, it shouldn't be this hard. I may apply for Mcdonalds (From the beginning of my job search I was 100% opposed to working there) but now I find myself with no other options.

If anyone could provide any suggestions in finding a job I'd be greatly appreciative.

On a less related note: I cannot find how to apply for subway online, am I missing something?
Um, you don't apply on-line for Subway. A simple resume handed in to the manager of whichever store you want to work at should suffice.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
just keep calling the stores

desperation does pay off sometimes.

also, subway is under "sandwich artist" on Seek and other job sites.

xxxx8888

HSC
connections.. get a job through a friend.

and maybe you give a bad impression to the manager when you hand in your resume? bad presentation or whatever.

HSC
December is not a good period to be looking for part time work. You'll be competing with both uni and school students on Christmas holidays for all of the unskilled jobs. Keep your chin up and you'll probably have a bit more luck once January/February rolls around

This is what Im telling myself anyway :)

blue_chameleon

HSC
John Oliver said:
We're in a recession.

It's december.

GG.
Not in recession buddy, just falling business confidence + slightly rising unemployment.

HSC
I think the non-farm sector of the economy is in recession.

Not many school/uni students go for farm jobs :(

blue_chameleon

HSC
Silver Persian said:
I think the non-farm sector of the economy is in recession.

Not many school/uni students go for farm jobs :(
What exactly are you basing that off?

HSC
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2437050.htm

MARK COLVIN: If this isn't a recession, it's a very good imitation of one. Australia's overall economy barely grew in the September quarter.

If you take agriculture out of the equation, the economy actually did go backwards. Australia is now relying on government spending and the biggest interest rate cuts in modern times to stop the economy going into retreat.

blue_chameleon

HSC
I would be interested to find out what people actually think when they hear the term 'recession', and what affect this has on their spending.

STEPHEN LONG: It may well be the Clayton's recession - the recession you have when you're not having one.
EDIT: I don't agree with John Williamson. Factoring in the consideration that the Fed Govt has promised to inject more funds if the $10 billion stimulus package isn't enough.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack thread. So back on topic I guess.

Last edited:

noturningback

HSC
Thanks for the replies, looks like It's going to be hard for me to get a job.
Not interested in working after summer holidays, to be quite honest all I want to do is make $400 then I'll be happy.
Guess I could try busking or selling my dads valve collection on eBay and take a cut of the profits, whatever it takes to get the money.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Just keep applying.
I applied to like 20+ stores one day during stuvac, and I only heard back from 2 of them. But I got a job, so thats all that matters.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
i found mine in my local paper. You could try there too.

Mongoz

DySFuNcTioNal
HSC
noturningback said:

me 2
got 1 call back and i got a few emailz sayin will put u in our lists
:(
pretti upset!!!!

boris

Banned
HSC
Silver Persian said:
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2437050.htm

MARK COLVIN: If this isn't a recession, it's a very good imitation of one. Australia's overall economy barely grew in the September quarter.

If you take agriculture out of the equation, the economy actually did go backwards. Australia is now relying on government spending and the biggest interest rate cuts in modern times to stop the economy going into retreat.
Oh lolol the agriculture sector is valuable to our economy now???

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I put in heaps of applications/resumes and haven't heard back, its been 2 weeks. I was dressed nicely etc as well.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
^ Have you looked in the positions vacant of your local newspaper? A lot of students tend to overlook newspapers for online and in person applications but they're a really valuable place to look. 3 of my 4 jobs in retail have been gained through local newspaper ads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)