Cant find any course advice for the first few weeks (1 Viewer)

loser101

HSC
been phoning aound universities and their all on holidays.

wtf? they get 4months a year off anyway but cant be bothered to come back to work on Jan3 when most of the prospective students would want course or career advice.

the only people u get to talk to are the dopey admin staff who are no better than an answering machine telling you to call back in 2 weeks:argue:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Who exactly are you trying to call?

See, the admin staff are the only people there because they're busy processing incoming students and preparing for the academic year.

If you're trynig to contact lecturers, they're probably not going to be much help unless you manage to get through to someone who oversees an entire degree. And they're very busy people, what with all the incoming students.

Some univeristies have a dedicated careers advice group; they're the people you should be trying to contact, but they're probably on holidays. If they're anything like the careers unit at my university, they start work when the academic year begins.

The reason why you can't get help is because that's not really a university's function. They're expecting that you already know what you're doing and have some idea of what you want to do with it. In fact, your school should have offered careers advice. If you're applying to a Sydney university - and I assume you are since your location is Sydney - then you've probably got a decent UAI and come from a decent school. And an decent school would have offered you careers advice. Otherwise, you've missed the boat: the one time the universities really offer careers and degree advice for incoming students is on the Open Day.

loser101

HSC
i want to speak to someone in admissions who is more than a paper pusher.

someone who actually knows the admissions system. coz not everyone is getting into uni is a Recent school leaver with a UAI.

Evilo

HSC
hmmmmmmmm go online for phone numbers. Find a section for current students, then admissions - this will stop you being forwarded to the "welcome to <university>" desk girl. I find email sometimes works best, except email specific people, not Admissions@<uni>.edu.au etc.

jirwin

HSC
many uni's had their advisory or info days today. u should of went to them.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Why didn't you try earlier?,now is the busiest time and isn't it getting a bit late for your application. Have you checked the website of the uni for basic NRSL info...it depends though on the course etc as they all have different application procedures. Generally most people don't get to speak to admissions people, its generally you just enter your information to UAC as a NRSL and that generally asks for all the information (such as previous study/ work experience etc)

loser101

HSC
every persons situation is different, the website is a general description. thats why i need to talk to the person who is more than an answering machine at the uni. but most are not there till mid january.

i can understand lecturers not being there, they teach not give entry advice.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
Do your own research you dopey fuck.

Season

HSC
Hey

The universities probably will only direct you to their websites because its quite a bit late now. What you really need is a careers advisor...

My school signed us up to this website called careerscentral, they offer free career advice and according to all the mail they send us, they're open "right now"

Here's the number
1300 300 687

On the email they sent this number is supposed to

• Phone-in service - this state-wide service operates from a call centre established within the Vocational Education in Schools Directorate between 19th December 2007 and 18th January 2008. Telephone 1300 300 687.
  • E-mail service - this state-wide service operates from a centre established within the Vocational Education in Schools Directorate between 22nd December 2006 and 19th January 2007.
  • Access to this service will be through http://www.cas.det.nsw.edu.au
The majority of enquiries made to the Careers Advisory Services focus on:
  • career/study options available to students with lower or higher than expected UAIs
  • differences between HSC marks and UAI rankings
  • the need for information regarding changes to preferences, and
  • information on university and TAFE NSW application processes and courses.
Experienced careers advisers from government high schools staff the advisory services and offer a well-informed, friendly service.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
loser101 said:
i want to speak to someone in admissions who is more than a paper pusher.

someone who actually knows the admissions system. coz not everyone is getting into uni is a Recent school leaver with a UAI.
Admissions do exactly as their name suggests: the process admissions. They are not careers or degree advice. They deal with enrolement, degree changes and related material. They're not going to sit down with you for three hours and discuss which degree(s) you should be enrolling in and which subjecys to take because that's not their job.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hey, just letting you know that the University of Western Sydney Contact Service Centre re-opened on the 2nd of Jan and has been open 8.30am to 6pm Wed, Thur and Fri. I’m sure they can answer any of your questions regarding admissions for non-current school leavers. Freecall number is 1800 897 669.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Moldy81 said:
Hey, just letting you know that the University of Western Sydney Contact Service Centre re-opened on the 2nd of Jan and has been open 8.30am to 6pm Wed, Thur and Fri. I’m sure they can answer any of your questions regarding admissions for non-current school leavers. Freecall number is 1800 897 669.
He doesn't want admissions advice, he wants career and degree advice.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Sorry ObjectsInSpace, I should have said that I work for the UWS Contact Service Centre and we provide more than just admissions information. We work closely with both the UWS admissions team and the academic staff, to provide admissions, course and career information to both school leavers and those that have been out of school for some time.
Happy to help, however we can. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)