Cant find much information about WAM boosters and timetables (1 Viewer)

SammyT123

HSC
Hey all

I want to apply for a commerce course to commence study in 2017

After searching around, I know you have to do 4 Core courses, 4 Electives and 4 'other' courses? (Gen-ed??/Free elective?)
On top of this I select a major, will this be done in the final year?

I also found that these courses are WAM boosters

ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics
ACCT1511
PHYS1110

considering I should pick 8 courses a year, is it ok for me to do the above 5 all in the first year?
Any recommendations on the other 3 courses i should do? (Can they also be a gen-ed course like some easy level of math?)

tldr; whats the easisest combination of subjects for first yr commerce

Thanks all

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
The best combination is the one that is similar or same as your friends.

Pretty sure the majority of commerce students will complete almost an identical set of courses in their first year. Figure out semester 1 first, you won't need to enrol into semester 2.

I wouldn't waste a first year slot on a general education elective (PHYS1110 as above).

For truly capable students, the best WAM boosters are the courses that the majority of students find difficult. Otherwise in easy courses, everyone does well relative to other courses. If these are core or commonly taken, then they are hardly WAM boosters.

Anyway, it's still several months until you need to worry about this. Work it out with any friends doing the same degree.

HSC
You can choose to postpone any of the compulsory 5 courses from the first year to whenever you like but be weary of future courses that will have one of the 5 as prerequisites, or only offered in semester 1 etc.
Also in choosing majors, you basically declare what stream you want to proceed within the first year and continue on doing the courses required to achieve a major throughout your second and third year. If you're doing commerce only. I'd highly suggest you pick either a dual degree or have a double major from commerce..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)