Car Audio (1 Viewer)

1freedom

how many others out there have above factory car audio,
mines a full custom install

head unit: alpine cda-7876rb
front stage: boston acoustics pro 6.5 split system off an audison LRx 2.500
rear: Boston acoustics rally rc620 off an audison LRx 2.250
Sub 2*Boston acoustics pro 12.5lf 2ohm off an Audison VRx 1.500 at 1ohm,

It has my liking and a lot of others, iam interested to see wot others have.

to relate this to school physics has helped a lot in understanding how the detail of some stuff work

Last edited:

GJ_JOE

blood brother
jeez... take it easy haha

i haven't got my car yet (needs to be repaired)
but i plan to get

HU: alpine 7874EB
JL Audio 5x7 splits in the front doors + tweeters on the dash
no rear speakers (+i'm unplugging the stock 5x7s)
JL Audio 10", maybe 12" sub
and, Coustic 481 amp

great idea for a thread!

Last edited:

m3h_m3h

HSC
geez freedom quite an expensive setup u have there :D

i got a JVC KD-S895 HU, some pioneer 6" splits for front, kenwood 7x10s for back. i also got a 12" JBL sub, but i need to get an amp to run the mofo.

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
nice, i think the sound of car audio... my set up includes

alpine head unit CDM-7874EB
set of alpine 6.5" splits (S series)
pair of alpine 6x9's in the rear
2 x 12" R series subs (they pump)
custom 32litre sealed box
a V12 1500w amp (pumps the two 12's)
and a bose 1000w amp (powers everthing else)
(sorry i cant remeber all the exact specs on the equipment)

its all been placed in a lil starlet thats fairly dumped on its ass!! i love it... anyone else got anything??

Patricio

UNSW Member
hey i hope all you guys who have posted got MP3 head units (i'm not sure about some of the models posted), otherwise ur living in the past! haha.. seriously, an MP3 head unit is the best investment u can make..and of course it will play all your normal CDs and burnt CDs too..you can update your car audio with the latest songs for free :cool:

Originally posted by m3h_m3h
i got a JVC KD-S895 HU, some pioneer 6" splits for front, kenwood 7x10s for back. i also got a 12" JBL sub, but i need to get an amp to run the mofo.
yeh m3h_m3h, i have a JVC KDS985 HU, it rocks!..

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
but the problem with an MP3 head unit is quality. if your after some quality and sound from your sterio then orginals and WAV's are much better to use. MP3's only run at average 128kb where as CDs are 50 odd K. you wont be able to get a high dB level with MP3 songs

so it depends on what you want out of your system.. the only advantage of an MP3 player is the amount of songs you can store on each CD with can in end become a pain in the ass in you want one song and have to search through 150 others to get to it!!

but if thats your choice go for it Patricio... happy doofing

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by disco_dave
but the problem with an MP3 head unit is quality. if your after some quality and sound from your sterio then orginals and WAV's are much better to use. MP3's only run at average 128kb where as CDs are 50 odd K. you wont be able to get a high dB level with MP3 songs

so it depends on what you want out of your system.. the only advantage of an MP3 player is the amount of songs you can store on each CD with can in end become a pain in the ass in you want one song and have to search through 150 others to get to it!!

but if thats your choice go for it Patricio... happy doofing
umm the reason that MP3 is so big these days is that, really, humans can't tell the difference between MP3 quality and CD quality (as only the extreme frequencies are removed, not the main ones), especially if you're driving at the same time.. but MP3 quality varies, sure you can get 128kb if you like, but several people only like to play ones that are over 190, and if they can tell the difference (between 128 and 190) then good for them, and they'll still get a few hundred songs on a CD using 190's.

and no you don't have to search through 150 songs (or closer to 250 in my case) to find a song - you have as many folders as you want, so you can sort them into artists, albums, music categories etc.. should only take you a few seconds to get a song..

you must have extra-sensitive ears if you can REALLY tell the difference between a (high quality) MP3 and a CD track.. I play both CDs and MP3 CDs in my stereo, and I can't tell the difference (assuming it is a good quality MP3, which all of mine are).. :cool:

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
sorry i havent used an MP3 player in a car so i wasnt sure if you could search like you can. i take that back!!!

admittally, if you d/l rip an MP3 at 192+kb then the quality is ok. but if your in a dB drag you dont want to loose those small frequencies that could take you a few more dB's.

i guess again it all comes down to what you want your sterio to do, if wanna doof hard or just cruize with the mates... i think both MP3's and originals have there advantages and disadvantages. but i prefer CDs cause of the extra quality....

gotta go cause the bell rang, well talk later!!! enjoy

m3h_m3h

HSC
u can barely here the difference if sound quality if u d'l half decent quality songs. i personally d'l most songs at either 128 or 192 quality, nuthin less than 128, but occasionally more.
now it would only make a difference if u had a EXTREMELY good system, im talkin big $$$ and if ur usin it for SPL and SQ comps.
and in sayin that, u can still play normal cd's from it...
in regards to searchin etc, i usually put mine into folders of no more than 20 songs, on the JVC units, u can jump in blocks of 10 anyways so its easy as :D

GJ_JOE

blood brother
disco_dave, what do you think of the 7874 in terms of (useful) features and SQ? i just got my car today and the stock system is horrible, a complete overhaul is definately needed :)

as for the MP3s, personally i wouldn't buy a MP3 deck because i've got all original cds; but for someone who does have a big collection of mp3s on cd they're great! and i hear JVC MP3 decks have the best bang for your buck...

does anyone know any good car audio stores that really know their stuff besides doran pro audio? (and plz don't say JB although they do have a nice range of products) - i'm looking for a pair of JL Audio 5x7s..

Patricio, what else do you have to go with that JVC deck?

Last edited:

m3h_m3h

HSC
GI_JOE, check this dude out http://www.fhrxstudios.com the head owner is Marty, he's been in the after market audio industry for years and come highly recommended by those in the modified car scene. this guy can hook u up with a quality install, at good prices, and sells good audio gear aswell. tell him how much money u wanna spend, and he'll plan a system for u. he's very dedicated to his work. talk to anyone in the mod/show scene and they'll kno who he is. any other enquires, PM me. my and a few of my mates r going through him, as many members from OzHonda recommended me to him

GJ_JOE

blood brother
cool! thanks for the info m3h!
though i'm only after a basic/simple install i'll definately go down there and check out what they have to offer when i have the time (and money) :)

m3h_m3h

HSC
hehe yeh he does all sorts of installs from just basic enthusiast installs like ourselves, to custom installs for show cars etc.
he drove 1hr from his shop to my house just to give me a quote, he wasnt even guaranteed i'd go through him. show's his dedication and has sure got my vote :D

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by GJ_JOE

Patricio, what else do you have to go with that JVC deck?
I drive a ghia.. there's no way i'm replacing the speakers that came with it, all i needed was a new head unit! The speakers etc that come with the ghia are gold :D

..well at least i'm not changing the speakers yet anyway..and i don't know about getting doof doof subs cos often in cars they seem like quarter/half a second delayed if u have 2x12 if u guys catch what i mean.. just seems a bit delayed..and i would want them to work well with dance/trance (which would such with delay) AND RnB (even tho i play mainly RnB)..

GJ_JOE

blood brother
oh you're lucky, the stock speakers on my mx6 are crap!
gotta replace them as soon as i get an amp and sub!

and about the delay, i know what you mean...to get rid of that problem you could get 2x8inch subs...two of my friends have that set up (one friend with 2 infinity subs, and the other friend with 2 JL subs) and both do thump pretty hard!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)