Car Insurance (1 Viewer)

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
nah pretty sure they will only pay out what you got it for at most.
In the fine print somewhere no doubt. Otherwise people would do it all the time on purpose.

The 9/10s part is the important bit.
it depends, they wont insure you for the agreed value in the first place if deemed too high, ie your case of the online quote for 7500

the only case I assume they could not pay out agreed value would be if your car got taxed 10 years after your bought it brand new from the dealership, and they never bothered to reassess the car, just kept the specifics for the entire time, and the market value is obviously a tonne less than what you initially paid for it.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Yeah, not my fault my dad wanted a warranty and bought it from a dealership. Only 73K on the odo

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
what the cunt without increasing the excess its $1500 a year for a $5000 honda civic. Fucking faggot ricers must crash them all the time.

astroe

HSC
The 9/10s part is the important bit.
I'm just going to assume you mean public roads as in.. normal roads, lanes, traffic lights, stop signs - those roads. LOL.

In that case, well, lets look at it comparatively. I would drive, say.. 100km's a week?
My driveway (private) is probably 10 metres, if not less.

10 m ____
100,000 m

= 1/10,000
Hence, public road time = 9,999/10,000
So, yeah, I think it surpasses your "9/10th" rule. LOL.

Just to clarify;
  • Third party property = If I hit something, the insurance covers anything/anyone I hit, but not my own car - if I am at fault
  • Comprehensive = If I hit something, the insurance covers everything/everyone I hit - if I am at fault.
  • If I'm not at fault, the insurance company of the other car driver covers everything - regardless of insurance type
  • If someone robs the car/breaks in/steals/sets on fire, then I have to pay the excess and get a new car back/repairs done if it's comprehensive, so if its just TTP tough luck, ey?

Right?

If so, whats Compulsory Third Party? :S
I assumed TPP and CTP were the same thing.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
hahahaha nooooo. 9/10s refers to how you drive not where.

Also if the other person is at fault you have hope they have atleast third party property, other wise you have to take them to court.

CTP covers medical costs for people involved in an accident.

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
you can add fire and theft to that, which covers you for a small sum (5k usually) if you're not at fault and the other driver is uninsured.

Also, CTP is fault based. Imagine a car running a red light and getting cleaned up by a truck, and both drivers are injured. Car driver is fucked, will have to foot his own medical bill. Truckie is covered by car driver's CTP because he was not at fault.

NSW needs a TAC system like vic imo.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
nah fuck that people should take responsibility for their own actions. CTP system is fine since even passengers in at fault car are covered.

quik.

HSC
A fair few TPP policies have an uninsured driver payout now I think

NRMA did when I was with them I don't imagine it would have changed. It was only 3k though, that would would have been enough to fix my bike etc barring a writeoff

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
Swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid pedestrian, and have a head on. In reward for saving that guys life you get to pay for your physio and rehab? TAC doesn't cost any more than CTP (I think) but it covers everyone. And passengers are covered because they have no direct control over the vehicle.

A fair few TPP policies have an uninsured driver payout now I think

NRMA did when I was with them I don't imagine it would have changed. It was only 3k though, that would would have been enough to fix my bike etc barring a writeoff
3k is fuck all for a bike, really. Even doing stuff yourself, 3k is pretty easy to run up. Forks + tank + engine case? Add to that the tonne of sportsbikes and plastic fetches a massive premium.

Then there's gear...

Last edited:

quik.

HSC
Forks would be the only thing on there that would cost a relatively significant amount

Tank/engine covers can be gotten from wreckers on the cheap

I don't have a sportsbike so the expensive plastic bits are not an issue? Even if they were, getting a cbr250 etc running would be doable on 3k p easy, cosmetics can go get fucked if you are on a budget.

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
fair enough, but 3k is a considerable amount of the purchase price. I'd imagine that for most cars, costs of repairs rarely exceeds like, 20% of the purchase? 3k is well upwards of 50% for a good deal of bikes that do get damaged, they'd just get written off.

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
i thought it would be? court proceedings would be as follows

your lawyer: he did his best to preserve a life
pededstrian's lawyer: was driving in a manner unsafe for conditions as evidenced by his need to deviate from lane into oncoming traffic
judge: guilty of culpable driving

you wont win?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Just say the pedestrian had an ipod, that would get the ball rolling.

Miss Code

HSC
Mine is in my parents names so its cheaper, I think I dont know how much they pay a month but I know if they crash one of the cars its $500 and if I crash or my sister does it goes up to $1500. My sister crashed my mums calais but instead of reporting it through insurance which would of cost the $1500 they fixed it as it was only like $200.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
For my turbocharged car I found that even though I'm a perfect record 21 y/o male, switching parents and whatnot as the main driver does squat. In the end I registered insurance under my name wholly and adjusted my premium/excess so that it's $2100 p/a with a $4500 excess with Just Car. This car is always garaged in a secure parking lot. I figured I can take the risk of a larger excess purely because the car isn't going to be outside an awful lot. The other issue with this car is if it's going to be in an accident I'd rather it be a write off because it's a car which once repaired, it's lost all it's chasis balance.

For my other car (a 06 N/A 1.8L sedan) it's through NRMA and costs roughly the same (i.e. $2100 p/a) but with a much more reasonable excess of $600. This car is far more likely to have incidents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)