• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Career Advice - Promotions in a Law firm? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i was wondering what the promotion outlook for law graduates are. Do they change depending on if you work for a large firm or a small firm? or does it primarily depend on how hard you work and how good you are?

Can you expect to get promoted after a certain time? And by what level and how long will you reach a 'comfortable' level of income say to support a family (lets say $110000 before tax).

PS. if this has been discussed, sorry, where abouts would i find out about it?

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
as the lovely Clayton Utz brochure reminds us:

overworked law student ---> summer clerk ---> shitkicker law graduate @ $15/h ---> junior solicitor ---> associate/senior associate ---> dead ---> partner ---> equity partner ---> managing partner ---> trophy wife

and, as i have posted before:

Top Tier

Grad - 55K - 65K - avg 58K
1st yr - 60K - 82K - avg 67K
2nd yr - 70K - 90K - avg 80K
3rd yr - 75K - 105K - avg 94K
4th yr - 75.5K - 120K - avg 105K
5th yr - 80K - 140K - avg 118K
6th yr - 100K - 150K - avg 130K
7th-10th yr - 110K - 230K - avg 160K
10th+ yr - 140K - 255K - avg 190K

let me put it to you this way: do not do law for the money. you will be bitterly disappointed, and/or very overworked, and/or want to work overseas, and/or want to work in i-bank/consulting.

you have been warned, kiddies.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
that's not what i meant tim. people can do what they like. the result, i am saying, is that they may be in a bit of a shock (as am i) that it doesn't pay that well.

fuck you mate can u stop deleting your posts. >.<

Last edited:

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I came in here to make some wisecrack about Hell has harbour views, but Frigid's sig already makes mention of it so I won't bother.

HSC
yeah thanks frigid, i read your post just after i started the thread. But another little question is, does the amount of hours you work ever drop? Say you start on a 70-80 hr week at whatever 50K, do you maintain the work load your entire life even up to a senior associate?

BillytheFIsh

HSC
Frigid said:
they may be in a bit of a shock (as am i) that it doesn't pay that well.
Frigid... will it shock you even more that when it says "graduate" it actually means "newly-admitted solicitor"? so add whatever time it takes you to do articles/plt before you even get on that scale.

skeptical: You work and work and work until you die.

But seriously, yes, if you're working for the big boys expect 50/60/70(+) hour weeks for your career.

P.S. Why didn't you tell me there was a way to see Lisa McCune's boobs about 5 years ago. I was so into her and her wholesome hotness.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
Doesn't promotion come after actually graduating? Bit too far to tell.

Anyway, i don't care about a promotion. I only want SALARY RAISE!!!!!

Frigid's figures (which are correct at this time) may change.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
BillytheFIsh said:
Frigid... will it shock you even more that when it says "graduate" it actually means "newly-admitted solicitor"? so add whatever time it takes you to do articles/plt before you even get on that scale.

P.S. Why didn't you tell me there was a way to see Lisa McCune's boobs about 5 years ago. I was so into her and her wholesome hotness.
yupyup, that's why i showed the distinction... :p

and she has like, no boobs man.

santaslayer

HSC
skeptical_bum said:
yeah thanks frigid, i read your post just after i started the thread. But another little question is, does the amount of hours you work ever drop? Say you start on a 70-80 hr week at whatever 50K, do you maintain the work load your entire life even up to a senior associate?
Sorry, I'm no associate, but doesn't promotion mean greater responsibility of harder and more confuzzling cases? I think the hours can only stay, if not increase. With that in mind, you'll probably get first priority when it comes to seeking leave for holidays.

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
Most law income tables don't account for the hidden job market - According to my sexy lawyer-type family friend (who did grad law when she was 40 and now earns $300k a year in Singapore at the age of 47).

BillytheFIsh

HSC
I think Frigid's figures are from Lawyer's Weekly or somewhere similar and would be for Sydney. Feel for us up in Qld who can expect 5 -10k less for the same experience. But living here does have its upsides.

Actually, if i remember correctly, there were wage tables for UK, US and Asia in that edition as well.

ps. 5 year ago me was content with like, no boobs.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
yes, you reminded me of this recent article.

addendum: a friend of mine gave me a list of HK law firm salaries [partially confirmed by firm websites]
firm name / first yr trainee / second yr trainee / upon qualified / allowance during PCLL

Allen Overy 40.5 / 42 / 63 / 50

Clifford Chance 41 / 41 / 65 / 50

Freshfields 41 / 41/ 70 / 50

Linklaters 40 / 42 / 66 / 50

Simmons & Simmons 40 / 42 / 68 / 50

Baker McKenzie 40 / 40 / 80 / ?

Johnson Stokes & Master 40 / 40 / 50 / -

Deacons HK 41 / 41 / 60 / -

Richards Butler 40 / 40 / 60-55 / 50

Herbert Smith 38.5 / 42 / ? / 36
note: salaries stated per month, in thousands of HK dollars. PCLL is the HK equivalent of PLT, runs from September to July every year. PCLL allowance is for the duration of the PCLL, not per month, you greedy bums. for more information, please see this document.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)