Career Choices: What do you want to do in uni/tafe/the workforce? (merged) (1 Viewer)

Which uni would you like to attend?

• UNSW

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Uni. of Sydney

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Uni. of Newcastle

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Macquarie Uni.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Uni. of Wollongong

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • UWS

• UTS

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • ACU

• Other-elsewhere in NSW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other- interstate or overseas

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Re: Career Choices: What do you want to do in uni/tafe/the workforce?

Kujah said:
As for a job, maybe either a pharmacist or a political scientist or a vet.

Or, I could work for the dole.
lol Kujah's way too good for the dole !

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

Wash your mouth! Nobody is too good for the dole.

cccclaire

HSC

dole yay.

when i worked at best and less i used to have people come in and ask how much they were paying me and then tell me to go on the dole.

but you have to come up with things making it look like you're applying for jobs though.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC

sle3pe3bumz said:
lol. I don't even believe in myself. Unfortunately. =(

Plus I'm not guaranteed to be an astronaut. You hardly ever see Australian astronauts- or even female ones for that matter.
Prove them wrong....prove them all wrong. =]

I...am going to do a law/commerce degree (combined) at UNSW or USYD.
Afterwards....an international top tier law firm and work my way up the corporate ladder.
Either that or aiming at becoming the youngest QC

I say "I am" because psychology states that it 'quietens the little vioves in your head which are saying you can't do it"

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Kujah

HSC
N/A

cccclaire said:
dole yay.

when i worked at best and less i used to have people come in and ask how much they were paying me and then tell me to go on the dole.

but you have to come up with things making it look like you're applying for jobs though.
Just apply for some CEO/Executive job, and get rejected each time :) If you're lucky enough to win the job, then good on you. ;)

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Hi.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC

A Stone Monkey said:
It's not that hard, in truth; I mean, it's just 99.9, or so. Achievable, if one tries.
If one would like to become an astronaut, I should think that they need a moderately well-built physique, by the way.

Hi!
well-built physique ?! ahaha .. i mean i wouldn't say I was like awesomely fit .. but im not overly unhealthy. Ah well, another SMALL obstacle in my way. Nothing a lifetime of working out won't fix right ? ><"

Dt 08

HSC

A Stone Monkey said:
Would you care to explain this phenomenon of "suicide rates" please? You see, I don't seem to understand why one would look into such statistics, although I have heard that there is more stress, hence higher suicide rates, in the "better", or more sought after, courses, such as Medicine and Dentistry.

Hi!:)
im not that sure why but i keep hearing it all around from different people.

cccclaire

HSC

Dt 08 said:
im not that sure why but i keep hearing it all around from different people.
I've heard it too.
It's perfectly feasible. Most dentists wanted to be Doctor's but didn't get in.
Who seriously grows up wanting to be a dentist.
And then you have to poke around in peoples mouths all day and give the same lecture about flossing like every 30 minutes.

Jachie

HSC

Nothing to do with Medicine/Dentistry, but anyway... I'm conflicted on whether I want to do a combined Media Production/Law degree or just go for Media Production. On one hand, Law interests me and it would be great to have that degree. Having that legal know-how would be handy in almost any profession, even if I don't want to be a practicing lawyer. On the other hand, it's another two years, my uni timetable would be nowhere near as flexible and I wouldn't get to do the electives I want to.

I figure I'll aim for the UAI necessary for the combined degree, and then figure it all out then, should I actually get it (which is pretty much impossible, but yeah...)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC

Jachie said:
Nothing to do with Medicine/Dentistry, but anyway... I'm conflicted on whether I want to do a combined Media Production/Law degree or just go for Media Production. On one hand, Law interests me and it would be great to have that degree. Having that legal know-how would be handy in almost any profession, even if I don't want to be a practicing lawyer. On the other hand, it's another two years, my uni timetable would be nowhere near as flexible and I wouldn't get to do the electives I want to.

I figure I'll aim for the UAI necessary for the combined degree, and then figure it all out then, should I actually get it (which is pretty much impossible, but yeah...)
Everything and anything is possible. :)

HSC
N/A

Closet astronomers ftw... :)

I'm thinking most likely science. If I can combine that with law or med (ewww, peer pressure) that'd be okay. Maybe majors in physics and (pure) maths.

Wouldn't rule out engineering, though.

mudcake42

HSC

ah no idea. it really depends on the UAI that I'm going to get.

how do you guys know what you're going to get for your UAI? my range is between 80 - ??????

so I have no idea lol

Jachie

HSC

sle3pe3bumz said:
Everything and anything is possible. :)
It's a nice, optimistic way of looking at things, and I can see why it would make others feel more confident about things, but I personally have never bought into that mantra. Call me a cynic, but when you think about it it's not true, so I don't really get comfort from it. Still, thank you. :)

how do you guys know what you're going to get for your UAI? my range is between 80 - ??????
94-98. lol

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC

Personally, I don't believe in it either, although I try awesomely hard to. I guess, we can only do our best ? ah well ..

trao06

HSC

communication - specifically advertising/public relations.

hoping for either uts (BA Comm - Public Communication/B International Studies) or charles sturt (BA Comm - Advertising or PR/Organisation Communication, or both)

mudcake42

HSC

If I could get a UAI of 100 I'd do Law at Usyd or UNSW because I reckon it'd be awesome to do Human Rights.

But realistically ... maybe physcology ... or business .............................

yeh lawyer is my only idea .. and yes, I can achieve anything!!!!!! (within limits)

Sarbear8

HSC

Primary school teacher or translator. I'm studing Italian and i like to learning another languge.

Pankcake Guddu

HSC

o god i know u think dentistry has the highest suicide rate but it doesnt..shrinks take that one out by a long shot..and as for growing up being a dentist i must admit im one of those freaks...well sort of i want to be a dental surgeon...and no its not the money its the concept of having a career that constantly evolves, has the communication factor and allows me to make use of my manual dexterity ...so i dont see why you wouldnt use the skills u were born with? i mean u woundnt go into a career where you werent good at anything would you? i mean it doesnt seem feasible does it? its like when we picked subjects for yr 11..we didnt pick them cos they "scaled" we picked them cos we liked them or excelled in them? right ? but hey i hope everyone is happy with what they end up with at the end of next year.....

Jachie

HSC

Pankcake Guddu said:
o god i know u think dentistry has the highest suicide rate but it doesnt..shrinks take that one out by a long shot..
I think they were referring to studying dentistry at university, not the career itself. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)