• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

career flushed down the loo ? (1 Viewer)

disorient

HSC
just checked my deferred exam results ...

NOT GOOD ..
20 units into my degree...ive failed SEVEN units ...

Can anyone tell me what is the point in continuing on if i wont be able to get a job out of it in the end? What employer in their right mind would wanna hire me?!?!?!!??!?!

*rips hair out!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
In regards to time, you've probably only lost 1 year. Not a HUGE loss...

With regards to a poor academic record for when you apply for jobs, employers like to see improvement. There are plenty of jobs out there. If you play your cards right, you'll be ok. velox has a good idea in pursuing post-grad qualifications.

Basically, the only thing you can do is get your grades up. Forget everything else, this is the only thing you have control over.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Academics aren't everything, but failing is a whole different story. Would you be willing to resit those subjects just to get better grades and a better record? Sure you'll be a year behind, but it'll probably improve your job prospects considerably.

The question which must be asked is- why are your marks so low? Do you study? Do you try? Do you enjoy what you're studying?

disorient

HSC
seremify007 said:
Academics aren't everything, but failing is a whole different story. Would you be willing to resit those subjects just to get better grades and a better record? Sure you'll be a year behind, but it'll probably improve your job prospects considerably.

The question which must be asked is- why are your marks so low? Do you study? Do you try? Do you enjoy what you're studying?
well yea i have to repeat them to complete my majors neway and yeah im willin to up my game n all ..but questioning if itll be worth it ...i dont wanna chuck in the hard yards only to (god forbid) graduate and not even be able to score an interview, let alone a job ...because all these fails reflect poorly on me...do they not? haha :(

why are my marks low?

first yr- i failed 5 units...mixture of distractions first sem ...not studyin etc etc
second yr- i studied properly for once (well more so than yr b4 anyway) and averaged a credit
3rd yr first sem- failed two...distractions again..not stuydin due to them etc etc heavily weighted mid sems screwin me over etc etc etc

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Well it's upto you mate. The reality is, there are always going to be distractions, and you're gonna have to focus. Judging by the fact that your results aren't that good over several years, I'm inclined to think that you're really going to have put in a lot of hard work in. Like I said, there's more to getting a job than just academics, but you still need to be up to scratch.

phrred

HSC
I dont think marks will matter at all when you're around 30 or after youve worked in the industry for a few years so its good just to have the degree.

mserica

HSC
Marks arent everything and most managers will tell you that, you may not get into a high flying role or even well branded company straight away, but stick it out, do your job well.. at the end of the day its not what is on your transcript that gets you the job its your ability to understand and do the job in the best possible way.

Companies see through the marks, you could get 99.9% in everything and be a crap communicator. keep your spirit up and just work hard it will all work out in the end :)

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
I don't know about other people's experiences but I'd say that you'd be hard pressed trying to find someone who averages anywhere near the 98+ range and has crappy communication skills. People who manage to do that well usually don't need to put that much effort into study so it's a bit misleading to suggest that anyone can trounce a high achiever once they enter the work place. But I agree that you should just concentrate on your own marks and experience.

turtleface

HSC
Slightly unrelated, but I think that when companies say they want someone who has more than just top marks because they don't think someone with top marks is very well rounded or has poor communication skills, they are talking crap.

ok not sure if i'm making sense but:

I think we all have this nerd with 100 average but no life skills construct in our heads but I don't think this exists in reality. For instance, people are always going on about "oh the firms won't want you even if you're on killer marks because it means ur just a nerd all day and wont be able to be a good accountant, lawyer, banker etc)

Heres my thoughts: For instance, I just base it on the Com/Law ppl around me at uni. (Ok lets forget that half of them are full fee students) you'd think many of them get better marks (ON AVERAGE!!!! DONT BLAST ME, its just my guess) than other Commerce students (of course many single commerce students top subjects and kick com/law ass, I know that pls dont blast me I'm making an assumption hear) , so that would qualify them to be the ppl with the higher marks.

But Com/Law people also tend to be assertive/obnoxious/confident in my experience, and also involved in legal aid programs, law societies, leadership programs, crap like that

So maybe high marks and communication skills and extra curricular involvement/well roundedness are not negatively correlated

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
turtleface said:
...Com/Law people also tend to be assertive/obnoxious/confident in my experience...
Hmmmm.

Yeah, I wont say anything to that.

In regards to the direction this thread is taking, in my experiences, doing well at university level ie. getting high marks of +95% involves a great deal more than just book smarts. I dont think there is a great prominence out there of high performing com/bus/law/etc etc students, with poor communication skills. There might be some, but you cant generalise.

Last edited:

mserica

HSC
Okay, I think i have mislead some of you as to what my intentions were, i didnt mean to generalise - sorry if this is what it come across as.

I just wanted to let him/her know that the career is not determined purely by results at university.

:)

turtleface

HSC
oh nah, in any case you are correct, every HR and and also actual Accounting firm Directors and Partners and Managers I have met has said the exact thing. i.e. They want more than just marks, and marks are useless if you suck at everything else.

I just thought i'd explore the issue a bit, but no you are absolutely right that is what the thinking is like in practice

also i notice that with law, med, stuff like that you get an auto (hons) suffix if you get a really high score (unlike commerce where u have to do an extra year). Yet when you look at the top lawyers and the top medical researchers and stuff hardly any of them are MBBS(hons) or LLB(hons), so i guess it supporst the fact that you dont need a 90 average to get high in ur chosen field

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mserica said:
Companies see through the marks, you could get 99.9% in everything and be a crap communicator. keep your spirit up and just work hard it will all work out in the end :)
That's fobriffic.

HSC
exactly, they're not gonna hire someone who graduated with high distinctions in every subject if they can't string a sentence together .. don't worry about the past, it's over with, focus on your stuff now and your experience/communication skills/whatever, you'll be right. that kinda stuff is way more important to employers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)