Career in consultancy (1 Viewer)

obama33557799

HSC
Hello,

I have always wanted to pursue a career in consultancy, but rather than following my instinct I went with my family's advice and moved towards accounting (due to there being a greater number of opportunities). Have just done a few weeks experience in auditing and have realised that this is not the career path I want to pursue (Am currently majoring in Accounting in Finance). Any tips or suggestions in how to go about pursuing a career in consultancy?

Cheers

Affinity

HSC
Find an inhouse job in whatever area you want to give advice in to gain some exp

miss-smexy

HSC
Just because you're majoring in Finance and Accounting doesn't mean you can't do consultancy - consultancy is definitely an area open to you (i've known a few people who have done that). If you get an internship in a firm and don't like the area you're actually in, you could request to be put in consultancy...

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
What sort of consultancy are you thinking of?..

Saying you want to be a consultant is about as vague as saying you want to be a tradesman, or a professional, etc.

Don't know about other firms but Big4 advisory (pretty much all areas) has never been in a rougher situation.

Def. wouldn't hurt to do some hard yards in audit and look to move across into a more consultancy-oriented role when the economy picks up and once you've discovered an area in which you are more passionate about. After all you're still working with clients and providing them value, there are plenty of transferable skills.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Is consultancy just advice?

So in a sense, an in-house lawyer is a legal consultant?

Prob a dumb question, but watever.

MasterPUA

HSC
consulting is broadly defined. OP needs to be more specific.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)