career options etc what's better? (1 Viewer)

hungry

HSC
Issue: unsure of what career to pursue, have 2 different fields of interest

Interested in physiology and computer science

Considering either:

- b science, double major in physiology and computer science
OR
- b computer science & technology
(both usyd)

Questions -

- is a major in comp sci enough to get a job such as computer applications software engineer, or similar? Will career options be limited compared to if I did a b in comp sci instead?
- I'm told a general science degree such as with a major in physiology won't get me far and I'd have to do further study however I'm not too keen on going for more than 3 - 4 years. Would it be almost useless then? I'm not sure what I'd want to do with physiology. I'll be honest and say I really am just interested in learning it because I like it and simply want to have that knowledge, but there are no related careers that particularly appeal to me.

I'm thinking if the major in comp sci instead of the degree in comp sci is good enough I will just do that instead because I still want to explore my options and interests in physiology in case.

Advice and opinions? Thanks

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
computer science is a good degree

physiology and compSci don't relate that much

Q1 - yes
Q2 - dunno

best :D

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
A Bsc with a major in comp science is a degree in computer science. If you like physiology as well the BSc with a double major is the way to you. Good to do stuff that will interest you.

ipikip

HSC
Issue: unsure of what career to pursue, have 2 different fields of interest

Interested in physiology and computer science

Considering either:

- b science, double major in physiology and computer science
OR
- b computer science & technology
(both usyd)

Questions -

- is a major in comp sci enough to get a job such as computer applications software engineer, or similar? Will career options be limited compared to if I did a b in comp sci instead?
- I'm told a general science degree such as with a major in physiology won't get me far and I'd have to do further study however I'm not too keen on going for more than 3 - 4 years. Would it be almost useless then? I'm not sure what I'd want to do with physiology. I'll be honest and say I really am just interested in learning it because I like it and simply want to have that knowledge, but there are no related careers that particularly appeal to me.

I'm thinking if the major in comp sci instead of the degree in comp sci is good enough I will just do that instead because I still want to explore my options and interests in physiology in case.

Advice and opinions? Thanks
Hey mate.

1) Not sure.
2) A degree in science gives you generic skills which are sought after in most workplaces (e.g., ability to critically appraise information, presentation skills, organisation skills, independent and collaborative working skills, understanding of the scientific method etc.). Having a degree in science is never useless. However, the natural career course for people in natural science degrees is further study with the view to undertake research. This would involve 1 year honours and 3 years Ph.D.

My advice: follow what you're interested in. If you like physiology go for it. You can change your degree mid-way though if you don't like it (USYD has an internal degree transfer option within the science faculty). You cannot predict where your degree will take you, so don't over think it. I intended to do research but now I'm studying medicine; something I had never thought would be for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)