Career possibilities with a Bachelor of Maths (1 Viewer)

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Hey y'all,

What careers in maths (statistician, data analyst, consultant etc.) would a Bachelor of Maths actually open up ? I hear a lot from others saying a career in maths usually requires a masters, possibly a PhD, and 5 years experience, whether it be in academia or in the industry. Is this true ?

Thanks for your time.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
My bet is the people telling you that don't actually do maths themselves.

There's plenty of opportunities; academia, teaching, finance, meteorology, oceanology, statistician, etc.

At the moment I'm in the final round interview for an internship with a company that hires specifically maths people.

Maths is not a road to unemployment like some people would have you believe lol.

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
My bet is the people telling you that don't actually do maths themselves.

There's plenty of opportunities; academia, teaching, finance, meteorology, oceanology, statistician, etc.

At the moment I'm in the final round interview for an internship with a company that hires specifically maths people.

Maths is not a road to unemployment like some people would have you believe lol.
I think you may have missed my point, I wasn't asking if maths doesn't lead to any opportunities. I am asking what level of education you need to build a career in maths. As in if I just do a bachelor without honours, then I'd assume that isn't enough, while a masters or more would probably do it. But what about a Bachelor with honours say ? Seeing that you aren't having to much trouble getting a job, what education do you have ? Also what was your experience before uni and what did you do during uni apart from your degree (extra-curricular, work etc.)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Obviously for academia you need to be phd qualified. For industry, it really depends on the role.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
quite broad, you'll get the majority of industry-related maffs jobs

You'll be very surprised at the level of mathematical competency of the populace...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)