Career prospects for arts? (in particular, international and something like media) (1 Viewer)

Astea

HSC
If anyone knows (directed moreso towards people already within or graduated from that degree), feel free to pitch in!I hear a lot of conflicting opinions but they tend to be 'word of mouth' from people who aren't even knowledgeable in that field

HSC
Re: Career prospects for arts? (in particular, international and something like media

I think it depends entirely on the major and how well you do it. I don't know anyone who's done exceptionally well with just a BA unless they do well in a specific area and want to go into research/teaching/their area had employment prospects anyway. Good luck!

newcastle2012

HSC
Re: Career prospects for arts? (in particular, international and something like media

Career prospects? for Arts? surely you jest. But really the career prospects are absolutely shot only around 53% of all arts graduates manage to find work within 6 months after graduating the worst of any degree. Arts nowadays is more so a joke than ever before when reputable degree's were actually underneath it.

To get a decent job with an arts degree is going to be very hard you will need to get astounding marks and be a perfect fit for a job because remember there are people doing more relevant and harder degrees who are going to get preference over you such as B of Media and Communication and even then be prepared to be paid very very little. Arts has the lowest graduate starting salary of $42000. Can't talk from personal experience but those stats are from the Good University Guide and are still very relevant.

Or you can have a look at these stats with 52% of people attaining a job with a starting salary of $38000 while a factory worker has a starting salary of $42000

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

If anyone knows (directed moreso towards people already within or graduated from that degree), feel free to pitch in!I hear a lot of conflicting opinions but they tend to be 'word of mouth' from people who aren't even knowledgeable in that field
Arts is varied - what major are you thinking of pursuing? That really will determine job prospects and stuff, in a preliminary sense in that we don't know how good you are academically and whatnot.

The Dux of my school (when I did the HSC) is doing Arts, and I find it extremely difficult to believe she'll be struggling to get money and to be out of a job - she is extremely intelligent, that's why she beat me... <_<

Also, I should say I'm doing Arts as more of a special interest degree, to do courses I enjoy personally - not really looking to use it in future for employment.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Arts has the lowest graduate starting salary of $42000.
Pretty sure pharmacy is lower than that.

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A

What was history extension like? Is it interesting? Do you do a bachelor of arts? :)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A

remember, not all degrees in university lead to career. Remember, it's university so it's also a place where people simply study a course they are interested in like philosophy. It doesn't mean it will get you anywhere.

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A

out of interest, what are you planning to do with a science advanced maths degree

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Pretty sure pharmacy is lower than that.
And you can live perfectly comfortably on much lower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)