Carrotsticks' Extension 2 HSC 2018 Solutions + Memes (1 Viewer)

HSC
u guys reckon a low 60 could make an e4? I need closure lol
maybe around a 64 if you're lucky. keep in mind in 2013 a 63 went to an 89 and people are comparing the difficulty of that paper to ours

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
When I did the 2013 paper I thought it had the easiest last question I've ever done in a 4 unit exam. Honestly I had a lot more problems with Q15 than Q16. Was 2013 really that hard?

JaxsenW

HSC
When I did the 2013 paper I thought it had the easiest last question I've ever done in a 4 unit exam. Honestly I had a lot more problems with Q15 than Q16. Was 2013 really that hard?
Fingers crossed it was, because I felt that ours was honestly harder than 2013.
If it was, aligning will be good [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

HSC
i didn't do the 2013 paper so i can't really answer. i had just only looked at the aligning on rawmarks.info. i'm just hoping the aligning is similar to, if not better than 2013 because that's the only way ill get a 97 hsc mark

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
i'm just hoping the aligning is similar to, if not better than 2013 because that's the only way ill get a 97 hsc mark
same... I was hoping for 97 too but I'm gonna need a small miracle to get it.

HeroWise

HSC
LOLLL U actually made me look it up.... AND IT EXISTS
BABAAHAHAHA

But like, with all seriousness, what would you guys have done to better prepare for the last questions ? WHat would you have changed to cater for these questions?

My 4u is in 2020
I have tried the paper, did the questions i could do. The last question got up to ii and gave up lol
will probs try it again tday

JaxsenW

HSC
2013 graduate, can confirm I lost way more marks in Q15 than 16.
How would you compare the difficulty to this years paper?
Hoping the cutoff is similar to 2013...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
LOLLL U actually made me look it up.... AND IT EXISTS
BABAAHAHAHA

But like, with all seriousness, what would you guys have done to better prepare for the last questions ? WHat would you have changed to cater for these questions?

My 4u is in 2020
I have tried the paper, did the questions i could do. The last question got up to ii and gave up lol
will probs try it again tday
exposure to all of elementary mathematics will help but there are only so many hours in a human lifetime.

HeroWise

HSC
exposure to all of elementary mathematics will help but there are only so many hours in a human lifetime.
Yes indeed in this finite hours of our lives, how does one achieve that 99?
Please doth elaborate on the elementary mathmatics part

Skuxxgolfer

HSC
N/A
if u want exposure to more maths:
since u have so much time there is alot more you can do. I would recommend entering maths competitions, particularly the Australian maths competition and unsw school maths competition in addition to any others (like icas). Also would strongly recommend BoS trials. You also have the option to read maths journals or whatnot, or maths Olympiad books which are extremelyyyyyyyyy difficult, where each question is meant to take about an hour or more. Also maths YouTube videos:
-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjwOWaOX-c-NeLnj_YGiNEg
-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1_uAIS3r8Vu6JjXWvastJg
-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEI9wNw9a4cJfejeAU6J2wQ

However textbooks are better, although vids aren't a bad start.
good genres of textbooks focused on problem solving:
-Olympiad textbooks (very advanced.)
-maths (pre-university)puzzle textbooks (fun+ mentally stimulating with a focus on creative thinking usually. in particular Professor Povey's Perplexing Problems)
-textbooks focused on a specific topic, with an emphasis on proofs. (you will likely see many potential q16s)

I focused somewhat on extracurricular maths because i found it funner. Although i feel it has helped, it should not make up the bulk of your study.

With enough exposure+ doing past papers you should eventually get better.
However I can't accurately comment because I didn't get 99, but doing the above will hopefully build you problem solving abilities, and knowledge in the area.

https://www.matrix.edu.au/matthew-winfreds-hacks-for-extension-2-mathematics/
this article says to focus on building a deep understanding of all the content which is probably the best approach tbh. I would recommend following it in particular on your last year of high-school.

I would also recommend not looking at the solutions, but spending alot more time trying to answer every question. Solving a difficult problem that you couldn't solve initially will be worth the effort in the long run, since problems of that nature will become easier to solve later on(moreso than reading solutions). I would argue that this is the best way to improve. Perhaps keep a list of questions you found difficult and do them later on. ekman has a good list of problems.

Since you have so much time, you can try many different things and reflect on what feels effective, especially since you have a way to track your progress (past papers). However studying for exams should come first(although maybe not in prelim), the article above dictates a pretty good approach.

But that being said there is alot more to do then just getting better at maths. For example you could enter some university computing courses in high school( https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au.../school-programs/high-school-computing-hs1511 ). It assumes no prior knowledge btw.

Knowing the content 2 years ahead of time is a really big advantage. If study regularly for it, you will almost certainly get a great mark.
Can you name some of these olympiad textbooks/maths puzzle textbooks, i cant seem to find the right ones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)