• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

CARS & RIDES & Mighty Car Mods (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Re: Cars

Japanese cars.
Yes get a japanese car, i wouldn't recommend anything other than it for a first car since they are mostly the cheapest to get parts for, to maintain and have great reliability. They also have good resale value.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

What type of cars should I be looking for? What type of cars are cheap to maintain? Also should I look for JDM cars?
Something that is a bit lower on the maintenance side is certain European cars. However these maintenance costs can be quite large when they come around.

astroman

HSC

Something that is a bit lower on the maintenance side is certain European cars. However these maintenance costs can be quite large when they come around.
true, Euro cars are good running cars but if something does tend to happen and requires maintenance, it will definitely be a larger bill compared to a Japanese car. So getting a second hand euro car would not be the wisest choice. If getting a first time car, i suggest you stick to the Japanese

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad

If you have no idea what you're doing get a Corolla/Mazda 2 or 3 or similar. Not a long to go wrong.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Is a lancer good for a first car?
The current generation CJ is quite old now and I wouldn't recommend it given the competition in that price point is quite strong. Seriously sit inside one of these, and then sit inside a similarly priced Hyundai, Kia or Mazda and you'll see a world of difference. You may even find some European models in this same price point too but they may be a bit dearer longer term.

I used to own a CZ Lancer Evolution (pretty much the same as a CJ Lancer in fit and finish) and it was not that great a place to be.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A

Aside from the catastrophic torque steer in the MPS, the front end suspension on that car is just...bleh.
What about the sp23, surely it doesn't have the same problem/s does it?

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad

What about the sp23, surely it doesn't have the same problem/s does it?
Not to the same extent but the tugging is there on a hard launch or a wet surface. It's not really an issue in the SP23 but when driving the MPS hard I found that a lot of my effort was spent just trying to keep the damned thing pointed straight coming out of corners and that simply wasn't "fun". It was fast, but it was just waves of disappointment and sadness tugging at my right hand. Pun intended.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad

(Answering the other blokes question, if you're planning to commute none of the above discussion applies to you as it isn't relevant)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)