catalysts - surface area (1 Viewer)

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
i know in some reactions, catalysts provide a larger area for the thingos to react on (like in the haber process with the magnetite).. but how exactly does this lower the activation energy/speed up reaction?? does it do something to the bonds of the reactants? i just dont understand how something that doesnt actually participate in the reaction, can have an effect on reactant bonds.. did that make sense ><

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
oranGez said:
i know in some reactions, catalysts provide a larger area for the thingos to react on (like in the haber process with the magnetite).. but how exactly does this lower the activation energy/speed up reaction?? does it do something to the bonds of the reactants? i just dont understand how something that doesnt actually participate in the reaction, can have an effect on reactant bonds.. did that make sense ><
i've always wondered that too...
this is when i was learning about zeolites.
i suppose reactions might occur at a higher rate when there is surface provided.. i don't know :confused:

shafqat

HSC
N/A
a reactant is "positioned" on the catalyst, often in a certain orientation, making the reaction easier and lowering activation energy

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
how does it position it?? wouldnt that mean it would have to react/attract in some way

nit

HSC
Catalysts work by reacting in some way with the reagents present - catalyts, while they undergo reactions (generally involving weak partial bond formation with the substrates of the reaction) will tend to react in such a way, following this catalytic reaction, so as to revert back to their initial structure, thus remaining "unchanged" over the course of the reaction. In the Haber process, the complex aluminium/iron/potassium oxide/finely divided iron catalyst will tend to adsorb nitrogen and hydrogen onto its surface forming weak, partially formed, covalent bonds with the gases, thus reducing the activation energy associated with breaking the bonds of the homonuclear diatomic molecules involved. Following the addition of hydrogen to nitrogen atoms, the bonds formed between the hydrogen and nitrogen molecules with the catalyst break off, and the catalyst is found in its original state.

The whole point about catalysts is that they generally react in some way to lower the activation energy of a reaction, and once that reaction has taken place, the catalysts will react to form the original catalytic substance.

shafqat

HSC
N/A
i was wandering when you'd answer that :p
another example is enzymes, which we just learnt about

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
hey thx a lot guys, i think i kinda get it now.. so basically the iron catalyst attracts the N2 and H2 and bonds with them...but now that both the H2 and N2 are on the iron, they see each other and are attracted to each other more than they are attracted to iron..so they bond with each other, but hte bondings easier because the iron has already weakened them..they then toodle off and the irons back to normal.. hope i got that right, even though i sounded like an esl student :cool:

richz

this is what my teacher said, catatlysts are porous so they absorb the reactants so they involve a surface reaction

nit

HSC
That specifically applies to the zeolite family of catalysts which incorporate specially designed pores and channels to fit molecules into them, thereby facilitating bonds to be broken. Generally, however, the active site of catalysts may be thought of as being on the surface of the catalyst. Apart from zeolites, when asked about the activity of catalysts, the idea of adsorption to the surface of catalysts as lowering activation energy is what you should talk about.

Also, xrtzx, note that adsorption differs from absorption - adsorption refers to activity associated with surfaces, while absorption represents rather the penetration of one substance into another.

richz

so nit ur saying in my previous post it should be adsorb?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)