• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Catholic Trials: Why? (1 Viewer)

Master Gopher

HSC
I've always wondered: why do the Catholic schools have their own set of trials, rather than each school doing their own/getting in outside exam packages, as the Independent schools do? What is the advantage?

All the teachers I have mentioned them to including my mother (none of which come from the Catholic system, admittedly) say that the Catholic trials are occasionally very good, but occasionally very dodgy.

Anyone know why they develop their own trials and why they are often really different from the HSC?

H

housemouse

Cause Catholic schools arent that great and writing up exams take a long time i.e. making sure the exam is doable in time given, marks are allocated equally, trying to cover the whole syllabus etc.

And since catholic schools arent that great, the teachers wont be able to write up a good exam and so they have the CSSA which comprises of the best teachers in all catholic schools and they write exams up.

xxlambchopxx

HSC
i have found the catholic paper extremely dodgy.
for ipt, they had a dss section with irrelevant questions.
for society and culture, the marking criteria added up to 72 instead of 70.
in geography, many of the questions were diabolical and many answers could have been chosen.
not to mention the structure is different to the hsc papers in some cases

cecilly

HSC
oi dont forget catholic trials are actually harder than the normal trials. trust me im a little catholic school girl... and yeh they are pretty dodgy.

bboyelement

HSC
yeh so true (sarcastically) ... like seriously all my teachers make their own exam paper ... and this is how they do it, they get the pamphlet and order it ... stop complaining ppl i go to a public school thats what all teachers do ... as if they make their own trial ... who pays them????!!! and some of them probably dont have the knowledge to do so or know what the syllabus is ... ill tell you a story, in the half yearly exams the 4 unit maths test which my teacher made has questions out of the text book ... yep you heard me rite ... but the thing was it was from another text book which we didnt study in class, but lucky me i studied from that text book and owned the test ... yep it was pretty fair for my class mates.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)