Censoring the censorship debate (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The introduction of an R18+ rating for computer games has been delayed indefinitely after South Australian Attorney-General Michael Atkinson withdrew his support for a discussion paper and public consultation process.

Censorship ministers in March agreed "in principle" to canvas public opinion on the proposed introduction of a R18+ classification for games and release a discussion paper on the issue, but Mr Atkinson has refused to agree to make the report public, effectively shelving it.

The draft discussion paper, simply titled "R18+ for computer games" was sent to ministers last month and details the "pros and cons" of introducing an adults-only rating for games.

The paper would have been available to the public on the internet and provided to interested parties such as games industry groups and family associations to seek their views.

Victorian Attorney-General Rob Hulls, who has long supported the push for an R18+ games rating and took the lead in drafting the discussion paper, appears resigned that no changes to the classification system for games will be made anytime soon.

Spokesperson for Mr Hulls, Meaghan Shaw, said "whilst the issue is still formally on the SCAG (Standing Committee of Attorneys-General) agenda, it now appears unlikely that there will be unanimity from all jurisdictions to proceed further at this stage with introducing an R18+ category for computer games."

Mr Hulls said in March that an analysis of literature and research on the issue compiled by Victoria suggested there were "persuasive arguments" to support the introduction of an adults-only games category.

"While computer games have predominantly been considered the domain of children, the most up-to-date research indicates a steadily growing trend in adult consumers of the product. It seems inconsistent that in Australia, adults are allowed to view 'adult only' films which have been classified R18+ by the Classification Board, but not computer games with an equivalent high-level content.

"With the increasing convergence between films and games, the different approach to classification principles is difficult to sustain. At the moment, Australia is out of step with the rest of the developed world on this issue."

Mr Atkinson has opposed the introduction of an R18+ rating for games for many years, telling parliament earlier this year that he knew it denied Australian adults choice but was necessary to help restrict children's access to "potentially harmful material".

"Games may pose a far greater problem than other media - particularly films - because their interactive nature could exacerbate their impact," Mr Atkinson said. "The risk of interactivity on players of computer games with highly violent content is increased aggressive behaviour."

Australia is the only developed country without an R18+ classification for games, meaning any titles that exceed the MA15+ standards, such as those with "strong impact" violence or sexual content, are effectively banned from sale by the Classification Board.

Four games have been refused classification so far this year, with horror game Silent Hill: Homecoming the latest to be banned last month.

Over 90 per cent of Australian adults, including both game players and non-players, believe Australia should have an R18+ rating for games according to a report released this week by Bond University and the Interactive Entertainment Association of Australia.

The survey of over 1600 Australian households found that game ratings influence most purchase decisions, however two thirds of respondents were unaware that Australia did not have an R18+ games rating.

Ron Curry, CEO of the Interactive Entertainment Association of Australia, says the local games industry will continue to fight "to reach an outcome that reflects what the majority of the population expects from the classification regime".

"You could be forgiven for taking a view that the South Australian Attorney-General has now actively censored the debate on censorship. What's next?"

Any changes to the censorship regime must be agreed on unanimously by the Commonwealth and all state and territory attorneys-general.

At the Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs last week, deputy chair Senator Guy Barnett said "some of us are dumbfounded as to why we do not have an R rating for video games".

"We have a real problem, and this is something the Senate and the parliament is going to have to address," he said. "If we have one state opposing this, South Australia, then clearly we are not going to have any R rating of video games. That simply cannot occur as a matter of course legally."

The issue is again on the agenda for discussion at the Standing Committee of Attorneys-General meeting next month.
Posted by Jason Hill
October 30, 2008 7:23 AM
*sigh*

Source

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
[/wall of text]

It is indeed a problem for consoles, ppl would resort to buying online from usa or playasia or something, whereas pc games are always pirated anyway...

That said, i'll be getting Silent Hill Homecoming for pc as soon as its released in usa ;)

EDIT: OMG THAT REMINDS ME!!!
Everyone remembers the game Manhunt right? It was released in 2005 i think..for ps2 and xbox and pc, then it got banned later on. More importantly, who remembers the today tonight/ACA article on "the game that teaches your children how to kill"? I recall them replaying a scene of the game, the main character creeping after a guy, while holding a glass shard in hand, ready to strike. Im 90% sure that article was about Manhunt. What a stupid article, yes woman, its a childrens game... -.-
Well lucky me, i got it on my laptop, tis a nice game :)

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Omie Jay said:
[/wall of text]

It is indeed a problem for consoles, ppl would resort to buying online from usa or playasia or something, whereas pc games are always pirated anyway...

That said, i'll be getting Silent Hill Homecoming for pc as soon as its released in usa ;)

EDIT: OMG THAT REMINDS ME!!!
Everyone remembers the game Manhunt right? It was released in 2005 i think..for ps2 and xbox and pc, then it got banned later on. More importantly, who remembers the today tonight/ACA article on "the game that teaches your children how to kill"? I recall them replaying a scene of the game, the main character creeping after a guy, while holding a glass shard in hand, ready to strike. Im 90% sure that article was about Manhunt. What a stupid article, yes woman, its a childrens game... -.-
Well lucky me, i got it on my laptop, tis a nice game :)
How'd you survive being dropped on your head?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)