Centrelink Fares Allowance (1 Viewer)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
If you're living far away from home to study and you are being paid Youth Allowance, there is a little-known Centrelink payment known as Fares Allowance which can help cover the cost of travel during breaks.

Fares Allowance pays costs for travel to uni at the beginning of the year, one return trip home in the middle of the year, and travel back home at the end of the year. It's paid at the rate of the cheapest public transport option, which in NSW is generally travelling via CountryLink, but may be by air if you're studying interstate.

For more information see the Centrelink website.

qfa380

HSC
I'm in the same boat as shaybay. My parents earn too much for me to meet it that way yet they're only willing (really only able) to give me what amounts to less than the youth allowance payments (not including all the other allowances).

I'm thinking of registering my relationship with my girlfriend in order to be deemed independant but not sure how that would work.

Has anyone gotten it any way other than parents income, age or 18 months working?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You should claim that you've been kicked out of home then - they'll make you more rich than you're friend. Say your parents no longer support you and communication has been cut-off (and if it has then you're allowed to claim this, because you're all on your own and Centrelink wants you to survive).

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
I filed my claim for Youth Allowance last Thursday, was told I should be getting an answer back tomorrow.

Wish me luck! I really want that $4000 tertiary study payout : )

smile99

HSC
N/A
Good to ask this kind of question.I will be having private messages once i deal with anyone in here.

Last edited:

EllaWood985

HSC
The discussion is very dashing I see. Thus, I really enjoy this forum. Many thanks for this. Have a nice day.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
given the cuts to welfare recently and how the start up scholarship has now changed to a loan, doubt it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)