Certificate IV enough to get me into University? (1 Viewer)

jonny94

HSC
Hey guys,

Sorry to bother you again but Ive got a quick question,

I want to do B. Industrial Design at UTS, UNSW or UWS but since Im not going to get the required ATAR Ill have to apply the hard way unfortunately.

TAFE offers a Diploma but it is 2 years long (which is definitely accepted by the Uni's), but on the other hand it has a 1 year course which is Certificate IV in Design.

So would a Cert. IV be recognized by the uni even if I got all high distinctions and have a portfolio or will I just be wasting my time?

Link to TAFE course: http://www.sit.nsw.edu.au/enmore/coursefinder/28823#.UGeH51H0ztk
Link to Uni course: http://datasearch.uts.edu.au/dab/courses/design-details.cfm?spk_cd=C10053&spk_ver_no=8

Gigacube

HSC
Based on this page you would be wasting your time. Is it possible for you to do a similar course at UTS or UWS with a lower ATAR cut-off and then transfer into the course you want to study?

jonny94

HSC
Based on this page you would be wasting your time. Is it possible for you to do a similar course at UTS or UWS with a lower ATAR cut-off and then transfer into the course you want to study?
Oh thanks for that! Helped alot

Smoke Eater

HSC
N/A
So basically to qualify for entry into a degree, unless you're over 21 as you'd fall into the mature age entry scheme then, you need to pass two units (from a university) and gain a credit average. Credit average means you've passed both units at 60% or higher or your grades from both units combined adds up to 60%.

You can study units from http://oua.com.au by correspondence (online) as it will be included under FEE-HELP if you have PR/Citizenship so no out of pocket expenses. If you choose to study single units on-campus, it will set you back $2500 per unit. I kid you not.

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
unsw view diplomas as not rigorous enough for its standard. Therefore even if you finish the Diploma in Design with a distinction average, it will only allow you considered for admission into the course- subjected to marks. No credit transfer is given.

uws offers a definite 80 credit point (1 year credit) if you finish the tafe diploma. With uts you can apply for credit transfer- though it will not be as generous as uws.

Doing a Cert IV will allow you consideration for all three of these unis with limited credit transfer in uts and maybe uws. I feel your ultimate goal is in unsw; in that case just do the cert IV. Sure you lose a year, but just think of it as doing a gap year or a double degree and you'll be going into the course knowing more than the first years.

Last edited:

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi, A Certificate IV studied at TAFE NSW can definitely still make you competitive for a place in the Bachelor of Industrial Design at UWS, especially if you obtain high academic results. Although a Diploma is considered competitive as well, a Certificate IV would be more competitive than the Diploma if you achieve better academic results. For more information on alternative pathways into UWS, please contact the Course Information team on 1300 897 669 or on study@uws.edu.au. Best regards, UWS Course Info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)