CF: Limitations (1 Viewer)

RainbowBrite

HSC
Hey guys! I was wondering what do you consider limitations of the crime fiction genre?

Ideas (from my class) that I was going to use:
-conventions
-formulatic
-structures
-sensationalist (popular, unrealistic storylines)
-labelling genres
-context which it was composed in

What do you consider other limitations of the cf genre?

____
Fixed it. Happy now Mr. You Know Who? hmmm?

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I think, when you label something as only a single genre or subgenre, you by neccesity limit it. That is the nature of genre, regardless of which one you study. However when texts escape this discrete modality, when they hybridise by adding aspects of other genres and ways of thinking, then a limit is removed.

However in the context you are looking at, repetition may be a valid point of discussion. Each text that exists within the genre must to an extent borrow from its own genre - nothing is wholly new, especially not in relation to the genre it calls home.

Porcia

HSC
LottoX said:
How can you say Crime Fiction is limited?!

Just look at Anil's Ghost, Memento, The Real Inspector Hound.

See how it's evovled from it's beginnings with Edgar Allan Poe and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to yes, the neo-noir film Memento.

Really, I think your teacher does not see the full scope of the Crime Fiction genre. The whole adaptability of Crime Fiction is the whole reason why we are doing this module.

Now, if you're talking about Golden Age Crime Fiction or some other sub-branch of Crime Fiction, then yes, you can say that about the sub-branch. But to generalise Crime Fiction as limited is incredibly short-sighted.
Ignore this guy. He doesnt understand what your asking. Anyway yeah, you got it covered, so i would try to delve into these ideas deeper and with sophistication if u cant think of anymore ideas, but thats quite alot to write about already u know. also, the audience (this may overlap with 'context') can limit the circulation of genre; and u can say something about how nowadays there is a broader audience so there is a... blah blah

btw how is memento neo noir? not dissenting but im curious how it is.

Porcia

HSC
ah well i consider "film noir" or "neo-noir" a filmic (visual) element of chiaroscuro and grain whereas the dialogue and characterisation belongs solely to the "hard-boiled" school... but yeah i get what you mean

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)