Chances of a 2nd chance for med? (1 Viewer)

wLym

HSC
Was wondering if someone knew what are the chances for a med place in the 2nd round of offers? Anyone reading this got a 2nd round offer for medicine last year/year before? On another point, anyone have ideas of just how many people do decline their offer to med because of deciding against a bonded offer etc.? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks :)

LM2009

HSC
Usyd does make later round offers for combined medicine, not sure about the other schools.

wLym

HSC
what uni you looking at?
UNSW or Newcastle or New england. Cant believe I was cut for all 3 even on rural entry. I even got cut from Monash. Its so depressing!!:)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
UNSW or Newcastle or New england. Cant believe I was cut for all 3 even on rural entry. I even got cut from Monash. Its so depressing!!:)
There's always hope. Don't give up now! :)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
i dont think UNSW even gave out 2nd round offers last year cuz its so popular and they over offer on their quota.
ur chances for UNCLE/UNE are alright since they will give out quite a few (i.e. those from victoria/queensland who get offers in their home state).
monash have very few also (2 from memory).
UAdel always have lots of 2nd round offers.

itsnotmine

HSC
N/A
i dont think UNSW even gave out 2nd round offers last year cuz its so popular and they over offer on their quota.
ur chances for UNCLE/UNE are alright since they will give out quite a few (i.e. those from victoria/queensland who get offers in their home state).
negative on UAdel. they have joined the over enroling club.

wLym

HSC
Wow thanks for letting me know. In the end, i am counting on a couple of the high performing students who get both monash/unsw/adelaide etc to leave a few vacancies when they go their prospective way. I dont know if im thinking realistically though especially when universities already count on this happening and 'over-offer' anyway. I was so keen on unsw though as most of my contacts are there and it would have been great to meet up with them. I doubt i will get an offer but thanks for the post!

wLym

HSC
If you don't mind me asking, what were your scores like? and your RRMA rating?
rrma 4. umat 65 %ile. 96 uai. Not very competitive but i thought it was sufficient. I was so grateful my umat wasnt extremely terrible coz i remember that day. (extremely disastrous in a funny kind of way haha)

Kaatie

HSC
Wow we are almost on par, you going bonded or unbonded?

Kaatie

HSC
i think im going to change to bonded to increase chances for second round. five years is such a long time though.. maybe should just try again next year.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
if u are lucky enough to even get a 2nd round offer, it will be bonded. they upgrade top bonded people the unwanted unbonded places. however, this is rare since they always over offer both bonded and unbonded.

from memory, UAdel had a system where you could see what rank you were and so u knew ur chances of being upgraded or offered a 2nd round spot.

wLym

HSC
i think im going to change to bonded to increase chances for second round. five years is such a long time though.. maybe should just try again next year.
I would go for bonded if i were you. I know people that have turned away offers because the idea of being bonded to the army etc. seemed daunting.

But thinking realistically - You are going to be what you want to be. You are still going to find work. You are still going to find a place to live. It's not taht bad!
On a minus note, I think its too late to "change to bonded" now.
But a year off isn't a bad idea. People i know have got into med because they've done the whole process twice, and done extremely well in the end. I would love to go through the process again, but I think 2 years off for me wouldnt be a good idea lol.

wLym

HSC
if u are lucky enough to even get a 2nd round offer, it will be bonded. they upgrade top bonded people the unwanted unbonded places. however, this is rare since they always over offer both bonded and unbonded.

from memory, UAdel had a system where you could see what rank you were and so u knew ur chances of being upgraded or offered a 2nd round spot.
I would love to be able to access that sort of system for the nsw uni's. knowing how far away I was or how close i was would be some great info.

wLym

HSC
Well for rural entry your rrma and atar should get you in, but you would probably need a higher umat result, maybe worth taking a year off and try again if you feel like you did bad? Maybe do a prep course, I didn't but the people that did them mostly speak well of them.

I had a pretty bad test on the day too, I totally lost it and was sick and really cold cos I dressed poorly lol, but oh well still came out alright. One of my friends got 99th percentile, I couldn't believe it...then again he got a high 99 atar and came 1st in state for advanced english, so unsurprisingly he got in as well lol.
Oh god, being sick for umat? ouch. Lol my story was totally different. I lost my admission ticket and was running around looking for it while people were starting. The supervisors said i could still sit the test providing i found it after. But I was so flustered by then I was just thinking about it for the whole test. Luckily i found it afterwards, but things went just so inconveniently xD.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
you dont really get a choice of being bonded or unbonded. the students who performed best in the UMAT/ATAR/interview get the unbonded places while those who got lower scores get the offered the bonded places. so if you do get offered a place 2nd round, it will be bonded (if people reject unbonded places, they go to those who got bonded 1st round offers) and u can choose to take that up or not.
i hope thats clear.

itsnotmine

HSC
N/A
ugh, i hate people who are so picky about being bonded. i know plenty of people who would KILL for a bonded spot. really though if you want to be a doctor you need to harden the fuck up. being a doctor is all about (cheesy as it sounds), helping people so i don't see why working in an area of workforce shortage is seen so negatively among aspiring med students. plus you can serve up to half your bond during your tenure. yes, it is a very big decision to make at such a young age but there isn't anything you can do besides go with the flow. if all else fails and you want to stay where you are, you can pay out the bond which really isn't as uneconomical as it seems!

Kaatie

HSC
on my application there was a box to tick if i was applying for bonded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)