Chances of getting into USYD law? (1 Viewer)

Black Faery

HSC
N/A
I'd say that a 70-80 average at uni is roughly 92-96 in UAI terms. I don't put much effort into uni, hand in things late (seriously late), and still end up with at least a 70 in subjects. HD's take a little more effort, or so my 84 and 83's tell me.

Also, if you are jewish apply to UNSW. Every department there is also a department of jewish studies. It's like, the Goldberg school of Business and Haggling, the Finkelstein School of Avoiding Tax, The Ashkenazi school of Jewish Marital Law. There are some serious jewish vibes at the University of New South Wales.

It's funny because the master race is surrounded by asians at New South and asians smell.

shsshs

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Hey i'm sure you're a nice kid and all but quit showing off your marks.
yeh his first post specifically asks what marks he would need.

so stfu dumbfk

shsshs

HSC
Bobness said:
You're just antagonising because he comes from shs (shs) right :p
nah i was a boarder at St Ignatius' College actually

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
shsshs said:
Hi, no its nowhere near 30%. The vast majority of my class (at least 15 out of 20) are CSP students who got 99.6+.
I thought the Access scheme was for students with disabilities or unforseen circumstances during year 12.
Transferring into law requires at the very least, and usually higher, a Distinction Average in your uni year,
The distinction average isn't as hard to get as people like to make out (at least in non-law subjects which aren't bell curved). Getting straight into UNSW or Usyd may seem like your only option in year 12 but if you work hard enough to get at UAI of around 97-98 a transfer won't be too difficult.

And just quietly SSH:

a) If you're a first year there will be more HECS students in your class because transferees don't do foundations
b) I'm sure Usyd crams as many full fee payers into law as it can legally, which would be around 40%
c) If I had some snotty nosed law student asking me whether I was a full fee or HECS student I'd probably tell him I was a HECS student regardless of whether I was or not.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol you edited your post. i was thinking the same thing. did they all like rank each other according to UAI. Who the hell discusses that sort of stuff. However, the percentage sounds correct.

USYD Undergrad Law Statistics:

770 students HECS
200 students Full-Fee
116 international full-fee

stazi

Nightman
HSC
whilst its university policy, not many subjects scale their marks, even if there isn't a normal distribution of marks.

2curvy4u

HSC
I reckon the marks for Law at Sydney are ridiculously high.. I know they want the cream of the crop, but it's taking it a bit too far.. I'm an above average student at school, I guess, but I reckon it'd take the heart of me to work hard enough to get that 97 or 98... :S I'm definitely looking forwards to applying to a Uni where the marks are a bit more realistic!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
2curvy4u said:
I reckon the marks for Law at Sydney are ridiculously high.. I know they want the cream of the crop, but it's taking it a bit too far.. I'm an above average student at school, I guess, but I reckon it'd take the heart of me to work hard enough to get that 97 or 98... :S I'm definitely looking forwards to applying to a Uni where the marks are a bit more realistic!
actually, the cut-offs are pretty much the same for the better law schools, such as UNSW and USYD.

Law isn't for 'above-average' students. It requires a lot of work. Also, law can only really be taught in smaller groups, thus not many places can be available. For this reason, supply and demand takes place (USYD doesn't set the cut-offs, they are dictated by who applies for those places). Better students get into the course they want to do.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Unless you actually want to practice law or get into investment banking, you should consider other options. Law is very demanding and for me personally, my law results have dragged down my commerce degree WAM.

This is despite the fact that every semester I would spend about 60% of my total study time on the one law subject, even though it is only 1 subject out of 3 or 4.

Of course there are intellectual giants in the faculty who seem to be able to maintain a HD avg in their other degree while doing almost just as well in law, but I found that I couldn't do that.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
it's possible that you just don't have a natural ability in law. i know it's not the best example, but I didn't put that much effort into my Commercial Law subject and did very well (conducted by the economics & business faculty, but it's a subject taught by lawyers nonetheless, merely with a focus on business). I found that the majority of people just didn't 'get' law, no matter how much effort they put into it. Even finding the ratio of a case would prove to be difficult for them.

bustinjustin

HSC
Are you considering Grad Law? No matter how well you do in the in the HSC, the first years or two of uni are spent learning about 'learning' itself, and it wouldn't hurt to have a degree (pun intended) of academic maturity. It just sounds like your approaching Combined Law as the be all end all.

Ademir

HSC
bustinjustin said:
Are you considering Grad Law? No matter how well you do in the in the HSC, the first years or two of uni are spent learning about 'learning' itself, and it wouldn't hurt to have a degree (pun intended) of academic maturity. It just sounds like your approaching Combined Law as the be all end all.
ive considered it, though I'd have to maintain a certain standard of achievement throughout the first degree. I dunno, i'd rather do combined law at a less reputable uni than risk getting an Arts degree alone from Usyd

is that a reasonable consideration, or am i just being overly "what if"? lol

Thanks for everyone elses replies so far, i really appreciate it

bustinjustin

HSC
Ademir said:
ive considered it, though I'd have to maintain a certain standard of achievement throughout the first degree. I dunno, i'd rather do combined law at a less reputable uni than risk getting an Arts degree alone from Usyd

is that a reasonable consideration, or am i just being overly "what if"? lol

Thanks for everyone elses replies so far, i really appreciate it
That's always a risk, but it'll give you more time to decide what you really want to do, and you'll get to do more non-law subjects and try out a few things, even if it's just for the sake of learning. Anyhow, point being, there's plenty of avenues, even to Sydney Uni alone, and plenty of time, so need to stress.

atwalker

HSC
bustinjustin said:
Part of the lustre is having your LLB covered by HECS as well - which is only applicable to undergrad degrees. Ergo, Grad law demands more (over ten grand more) money and more (at least a year, if not 2-3) time.

bustinjustin

HSC
atwalker said:
Part of the lustre is having your LLB covered by HECS as well - which is only applicable to undergrad degrees. Ergo, Grad law demands more (over ten grand more) money and more (at least a year, if not 2-3) time.
You've got me worried here about about Grad Law no longer being covered by HECS, but as far as I am aware, CSP places are offered for Grad Law - one can avail of HECS for 7 years of full-time study, and even then, Grad Law can still be included as part of this. Also, Grad Law is still techically an undergrad Bachelor degree, albeit with graduate entry.

In light of your post, I tried to search for something indicated that graw law was no longer available under HECS, and the only thing I found was this :
"Applicants to Graduate Law enrolled as a HECS-liable student in an Australian bachelor's degree between 1997 and 2004 continue to pay fees for a Commonwealth supported place under the pre-2005 conditions. Please note that this arrangement expires from 2008 onwards."

However, i don't think this means that CSPs wont be available for Grad Law after 2008, it only pertains to that specific arrangment for pre-05 students. I couldn't find any indication on the goingtouni website that Grad Law was only available full-fee. What gave you the impression it was. If this was the case, wouldn't the same thing apply to Grad Med? I'm pretty sure- but hope - that you are wrong.

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
He may be referring to the Melbourne Model, in which Law will only be available in postgraduate mode - hence no HECS or HELP.

bustinjustin

HSC
Triangulum said:
He may be referring to the Melbourne Model, in which Law will only be available in postgraduate mode - hence no HECS or HELP.
Of course. Crisis over. That rules out Melbourne then, not that it matters.

Edit: not that it matters that much.

Actually, whilst we're still on the matter, despite being (post)grad, there will still be CSPs available in the Melbourne JD

But thank god that this is still the case, it had me replanning my life for a second.

Last edited:

Demandred

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
according to usyd website u need a 95+ UAI and distinction average to even be competitive in transfer into law at Usyd. So either way u need a high UAI. As for what you need to do to get UAI 95+ there is already a wealth of information about that on this board.
I think the requirement is a bit lower if you complete your degree first then do grad law. I rang them up, they said a GPA of around high credit (5.8+) with a low 90s UAI should make you quite competitive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)