Change to MX1? (1 Viewer)

deathdude222

HSC
Hi.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched and couldn't find a thread like this.

I'm in Year 11 currently and I want to change to MX1 from 2-unit. I have seen my results get better over time and this is why I feel like I should change. My question is..

If I ask the head teacher of maths, would I be able to move to MX1?
If not, would me asking my parents to make them change my class work?

Thanks in advanced

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
You would have to catch up on a lot of work, the only opposition would be some Board rule or something, that's if your marks are upto scratch and the teachers didn't mind.

But if you want to do it, then go for it.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hi.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched and couldn't find a thread like this.

I'm in Year 11 currently and I want to change to MX1 from 2-unit. I have seen my results get better over time and this is why I feel like I should change. My question is..

If I ask the head teacher of maths, would I be able to move to MX1?
If not, would me asking my parents to make them change my class work?

Thanks in advanced
At this stage of Year 11 you would have to catch up all the work already completed by the Ext 1 course so you would need to be able to convince your Head of Department that you are able to do so. Talk to your parents and your Head of Department and see what they all say as you will be committing yourself to a lot of Maths over the next three months and although you might be able to do that will it be at the expense of some of your other subjects, or other life activities?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Just to boost your confidence, the catching up on work won't be hard, I changed schools at the end of year 11. My old school had done barely any 3unit, and my new school had done heaps. If you have the ability and drive you can easily catch up, and get a decent mark.

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
yes its possible. if you show your appreciation for maths to head teacher they should let you do the 3u course, but like said before, you'd need a lot of catch up.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Yesterday my Maths teacher said to the class that anyone who intends to drop has to be sure because once you drop, there's no coming back up.

Could be different at your school though.

Ananas72

HSC
I picked up extension 1 at the beginning of year 12, it seems to be working out fine for me :) I've been ranked around 30 out of 90 for the assessments at my school (which is a selective)
If you think you can do it, go for it!
It does require a lot of catching up, but at least you'll have a lot of students around you who've done it and can help if you need.

Edit: When I went to the head maths teacher though, he was very "It's going to be really hard, only one student at this school has done it successfully before, don't feel bad if you want to drop back down to 2u after a little while" etc. I guess that gave me more motivation to prove him wrong :)

hscishard

HSC
I picked up extension 1 at the beginning of year 12, it seems to be working out fine for me :) I've been ranked around 30 out of 90 for the assessments at my school (which is a selective)
If you think you can do it, go for it!
It does require a lot of catching up, but at least you'll have a lot of students around you who've done it and can help if you need.

Edit: When I went to the head maths teacher though, he was very "It's going to be really hard, only one student at this school has done it successfully before, don't feel bad if you want to drop back down to 2u after a little while" etc. I guess that gave me more motivation to prove him wrong :)
Some dude said you can't pick up ext1 maths in year 12. Guess he was wrong.

Existential

HSC
N/A
Some dude said you can't pick up ext1 maths in year 12. Guess he was wrong.
i am that dude, and i stand by what i said.

picking up ext. 1 maths at the start of year 12, without completing prelim extension, is not allowed (it's NSWBOS rules) - any school that allows you to do such a thing is in breach of the BOS rules. however i suppose there is more leniency in the prelim - in the HSC changing subjects is generally forbidden unless it involves moving down within a subject area (eg. adv to st, 2U to gen ect. ect.) or dropping whole subjects (providing it satisfies your units).

Ananas72

HSC
i am that dude, and i stand by what i said.

picking up ext. 1 maths at the start of year 12, without completing prelim extension, is not allowed (it's NSWBOS rules) - any school that allows you to do such a thing is in breach of the BOS rules. however i suppose there is more leniency in the prelim - in the HSC changing subjects is generally forbidden unless it involves moving down within a subject area (eg. adv to st, 2U to gen ect. ect.) or dropping whole subjects (providing it satisfies your units).
When I was picking it up, the head teacher and the principal both said it was alright. The principal mentioned something about the BOS and said she was going to check before allowing it. Whether she did or not is another story... I don't think that they'll do anything in my case though, it seems a bit late to. And if they do I guess I'll live - I have 11 units. Would like it to make one of my chemistry units not count though..

Edit: Why would it be against the rules? The only person I'm disadvantaging is myself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)